Any Cali surf spots with vehicle camping on the beach?

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Howzit, We're looking for a nice point break thats somewhat secluded with clean and glassy pealing rights.:drool: Okay, any spot thats vehicle friendly for camping on the beach, besides Pismo and San O. I want to be able to pull the LC right onto the beach to camp and surf all day long. Lets keep it within Cali and feel free to PM me if you want to keep a spot on the down low. I'm from Hawaii so I'll trade advice, spots, suggestions, etc. If I could travel to Baja I would. Trust me...:)

Super Doody

Explorer
Howzit, We're looking for a nice point break thats somewhat secluded with clean and glassy pealing rights.:drool: Okay, any spot thats vehicle friendly for camping on the beach, besides Pismo and San O. I want to be able to pull the LC right onto the beach to camp and surf all day long. Lets keep it within Cali and feel free to PM me if you want to keep a spot on the down low. I'm from Hawaii so I'll trade advice, spots, suggestions, etc. If I could travel to Baja I would. Trust me...:)

Welcome :sombrero: but your question is of kind of presumptuous don't you think?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
not exactly on the beach...and not exactly free.

but for $30 you can park right next to this spot at Half Moon Bay and get fast wi-fi too.
We just spent the weekend there, a bit foggy but awesome time.

IMG_1224_800x600.JPG
IMG_1228_800x600.JPG

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Honestly, camping just back off the beach at Usal is the best way IMO. there is a bunch of trees just off the beach that is great for shade, and a little privacy. I personally hate when people camp right on the beach there because it destroys the view for those camping in designated spots.
_DSC0249asSmartObject-1.jpg

_DSC0210asSmartObject-1.jpg

zack05

I grew up in Half Moon Bay and have surfed up and down the coast all my life. If I was any good at scanning and posting old pics, I could show you an old Datsun B-210 being driven down that beach in the background (of the pics posted be ChristianP) by one of the most famous big wave surfers in the world. You also used to be able to drive on the beach at Scotts Creek, a little north of Santa Cruz, an excellent north swell reef. I have driven down on the beach and surfed incredible waves at the mouth of the Klamath River. Also, Black Sands beach on the Lost Coast used to be open to vehicles. There is one of the best surf spots in CA near there. Oh, and the beach below the cliff at Maverick's, yes we used to drive out there as well. It's just not that way anymore though. I don't know of any decent surf spot on the whole coast where you can actually drive on the beach and camp. One of the best campgrounds anywhere is Manchester Beach, north of Point Arena. Some of the spots back-up to the dunes (marginal, occasional surf right there, but PA on a big north, :) A definite add to the list spot.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
San Diego area spots.

Silverstrand down on Coronado(mainly beach break), and there is overnight rv parking at the Oceanside harbor(jetties). San Elijo campground in Cardiff(cardiff reef, pipes, swamis). Carlsbad state campground(pontos).

The state campgrounds have gotten insane expensive(in my opinion).

-Chris

OSV

Adventurer
driving on the sand in california is pretty much a no-go these days... see if the camp sites at el capitan and jalama are still open... el cap on a big west swell is a pinwheel, but it's rare... hike down the beach at jalama a mile or so to the reef, pretty juicy in that neck of the woods.

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
Thank you everyone for your contributions. I know the "breaks" get crowded and new faces at local spots can get bitter but, I thank you for sharing your spots. Right now I think San O just cant be beat for where we are located. Please continue to contribute as we are adding all spots to our list. I'm sure others will enjoy as well. Mahalo :)

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
is camping allowed down by the beach at san-o? or only up in the bluff?

On Camp Pendleton there are sites for camping on the bluff or beachside in a tent, trailer, RV, or cabin you choose. The state beach has camping on the bluff only and is bit to the water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater