Any Springbar Compact 2 users out there?

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
I'm looking for some reviews and campsite user pics of the Springbar Compact 2 tent (or the Kodiak equivalent) and this tent only. I know this is a limited market so I probably won't get many replies. I already have a Tepui Autana rooftop tent, a Kodiak Canvas Flexbow tent and a backpacking tent. I am looking for something to round out my camping quiver.
I have a love/hate relationship with the roof top tent. I put it on my truck very occasionally and it lives on the wife's 4Runner 99% of the time since she loves the treehouse aspect of it. I won't buy an RTT ever again as they really suck when it gets windy. But it is convenient when weather is good and I am sleeping in a different spot every night.
My favorite set up is my Kodiak canvas tent. This thing is indestructible in all weather conditions and the setup doesn't take anymore time to set up than my backpacking tent by the time I put up the rain fly. But.... most of the time, I don't need the amount of space that it provides, and it is the smaller 9'x8' version (I think?). It is; however, my go to if I am camping for several night in the same spot.
But... I primarily hit the backcountry with just me and my 60lb Lab/Golden Retriever/shelter dog mix, and I feel like the Compact 2 fits all of the requirements that I am looking for: tall enough to sit up in and change clothes, but yet short enough in profile to laugh at the wind.
So; if you have a Springbar Campsite 2 (or the Kodiak equivalent), please share your thoughts and pics. Especially your thoughts on having a flap of canvas as a door when it is raining, and if this is a huge inconvenience.
(This is my main concern). Thank you.

silver.surfer

I have to kodiak 2 person tent its nice for the dog and I or 2 people mot much more. I've only stet it up with a inflatable air mattress and it's barely tall enough. I'm 5"10" and in a chair my head is barely touching the top when I sit up, On the air mattress it did. If you have the other kodiak tent its pretty easy to set up, it sets up the same. The last trip we had rain and it was a little cold. with the queen air mattress in there it takes up pretty much the whole tent. So no buddy heater would fit it got a little chilly and needed it. No rain or wind inside and that was great it poured down all night and got pretty windy. I have the Kodiak swag and the cabin tent, if it's the kid and I or just me its my go to the wife doesn't like the compact size. The best setup would be a sleeping bag and a pad to make the best of the small size. Rain did get inside when you opened the door, just a little nothing a towel couldn't handle. The kids used it as a fort when I left it outside for a week of rain to season it and no rain inside except the day they left the door open but I just whipped it off and no harm done the floor is really durable. If the next time I go camping and there calling for rail i put the door under my awning.

Attachments

• 5DEF38AB-ECBD-4530-B58F-2BA4D6257C43.jpeg
    5DEF38AB-ECBD-4530-B58F-2BA4D6257C43.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
I have to kodiak 2 person tent its nice for the dog and I or 2 people mot much more. I've only stet it up with a inflatable air mattress and it's barely tall enough. I'm 5"10" and in a chair my head is barely touching the top when I sit up, On the air mattress it did. If you have the other kodiak tent its pretty easy to set up, it sets up the same. The last trip we had rain and it was a little cold. with the queen air mattress in there it takes up pretty much the whole tent. So no buddy heater would fit it got a little chilly and needed it. No rain or wind inside and that was great it poured down all night and got pretty windy. I have the Kodiak swag and the cabin tent, if it's the kid and I or just me its my go to the wife doesn't like the compact size. The best setup would be a sleeping bag and a pad to make the best of the small size. Rain did get inside when you opened the door, just a little nothing a towel couldn't handle. The kids used it as a fort when I left it outside for a week of rain to season it and no rain inside except the day they left the door open but I just whipped it off and no harm done the floor is really durable. If the next time I go camping and there calling for rail i put the door under my awning.
Thanks for the info silver.surfer. Your size description is about what I expected, which to me is a good thing. I want the smaller size as I don't usually run a heater or want to run a heater to warm up a big space. I figure that with my sleeping bag and my dog, we should stay plenty warm in the small space since the canvas does a descent job of holding in some heat as opposed to my nylon 2 person tent that I use now. This is actually the main reason I am looking at this size tent.

basicfish

Observer
I have a an outfitter 3, I think it’s 8’ x 7’, when I purchased it I was wasn’t sure if I wanted it or the compact 2. I finally chose the outfitter three, because I could stand up in it. It was used while my son was a Boy Scout, it was my summer camp and fall camp tent. The only problem I had with it is under very cold Louisiana mornings in the fall, it didn’t offer much in the way of heat retention. But it did breath well in the summer.
I am 5 foot eight, so I was able to stand up in it with no issues. but a xl size cot did not fit, I used my regular size cot. I liked having in the cot because I could store my things underneath it, and if I had a pet it probably could sleep underneath the cot with no issues
Spring bar tents or not the cheapest out there ,But they work well and I preferred it to the cheap nylon tents.
My main rig is a rooftop tent, on a 4 x 6’ trailer. It holds all the gear in my fridge stove and anything else we need. I find it a lot simpler to have a made i my main rig is a rooftop tent, on a 4 x 6‘ trailer. It holds all the gear in my fridge stove and anything else we need. I find it a lot simpler to have a built-in Basecamp. I tend to hike more than I overland so it works well for us.
I actually haven’t used the spring bar in a couple years, I guess I should decide if I need to keep it.

Ron

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Just an update since my original post/questions a few months back. I spent a ton of time researching both the Springbar Compact 2 and the Kodiak flexbow 8.5x6 two person tent. As much as I wanted to buy the Springbar, the Kodiak won the decision do to the fact that it had more windows and more screened ventilation. I also felt the doors on the Kodiak were a better system. I'm sure I would have been happy with either tent, but I am very happy that I chose this sized canvas tent.
I have over a weeks worth of nights in it so far; a few have been just me, and a couple have been with my dog. Since I sleep on a pad; the size and headroom is perfect. It actually feels pretty spacious for such a small tent. It has seen several downpours and high wind events already and this thing is stout. The shorter wall height does make it feel more "stout" and quieter when the wind picks up. The door does let in a tiny bit of water when coming and going in the rain, but is completely dry when zipped up.
This has become my "go to" tent. I would highly recommend the Kodiak Canvas flexbow 2person tent.IMG_2921.JPGIMG_2922.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior