Any trials riders in here?

Been kicking the idea around for a while... thinking about maybe getting a trials bike. Looks like a good time, and maybe a great way to get a quick-fix for a ride rather than an all day event.

Anyone on the forum ever given it a shot? If so, did you stick with it, or was it discovered to be more of a novelty thing?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I used to ride bicycle trials. We set-up separate lines from the motorcycle trials guys. We ran that for about 5-years. It's a fantastic total body workout and a whole bunch of fun. IMO you need to have a fairly large quarry or similar chunk of ground to keep the interest peaked so you are not always running the same lines...

Send Dean a PM on MUD (DMX84) http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/216101-pulstar-sparkplug-install.html

He's in New Mexico and is an active motorcycle trials rider...he'll be able to give you better answers...and he's a great guy too.

Dan

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i played on a gas gas for a while,,, i'll tell ya what, you think your a pretty good rider till you try trials the right way. anybody can jump on a trials bike and ride over stuff going slow, but it is hard work trying to manipulate the brakes and clutch at the same time your hopping over something then stopping for a turn or whatever.

its a bunch of fun though.

JackW

Explorer
One of the most fun bikes I've ever owned was my old Mick Andrews Replica Ossa 250 Plonker - wish I'd never sold it.
You can entertain yourself for hours on a trials bike in your back yard.

I'd suggest getting one of the older machines that is eligible for vintage trials events - the new stuff is used on terrain that is too radical for older guys.

Spenser

Adventurer
Former owner of Bultaco Sherpa T, 350 cc. Almost broke your leg every time you tried to start it. Traded it straight up for a 19 foot Oday Day Sailor. Great sailboat, but a better motorcycle. Vintage trials were great fun, and you really could amuse yourself for hours, until you felt the need for speed, and couldnt get over 20 mph fully opened.

Am looking for a lightly used Montessa- maybe a few years old. I just think that it'd be fun to put around on in the yard, and maybe break some bones on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman