Anyone connect the vehicle GPS antenna to iPad??

Hugh166

Observer
So I'm just getting started getting kit together building a Land Rover LR3 for some slight overlanding in the northeast. I have an iPad mini 4 sitting around and figured it would work great in the truck running Gaia and OnX and other offroad mapping apps, but since it is a Wi-Fi only it does not have GPS. I know there are Bluetooth GPS receivers I can link to it, but thinking since it will be in the truck and the truck has GPS in the shark fin on the roof is there a way to supply that info to the iPad. I know it would have to be decoded or something for the iPad to understand it, but I'm not sure if there is a component out there that will do that, and provide a way to connect to the iPad through the lightening port. Has anyone seen/done this? Any ideas you can point me in would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The shark fin is almost certainly just an antenna and very likely GPS is only one of several antennas in it as well as AM/FM, cell data modem, etc). The GPS receiver (e.g. the electronics doing the "decoding" part) is usually in the device it's feeding, behind the dash or elsewhere.

Point being, unless you really want to try just to try (are you an engineer or hacker?) rigging up a GPS receiver that can use an external antenna and serve positions over Bluetooth your best move is just buy off-the-shelf Garmin, Dual, Bad Elf or other Bluetooth GPS puck. It'll be a lot less headache with a higher chance of success.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior