Anyone located in the South? Interested to hear your RTT experiences!

grogie

Like to Camp
Here in Indiana where I live, July is good corn growing weather (nice hot and humid nights), and the nice thing about an RTT is the airflow being off the ground (mine is just on a trailer). I just sleep with the screens in place, and as someone else said I have a battery fan that hangs from the top that I run for until things cool off.

An RTT is so much better then a ground tent...

n4ui.jpg

9g34w.jpg

Last edited:

Ultralite

Adventurer
It seems to me RTTs are growing in popularity in the South. Here in ATL, I've seen more and more every year.

I've thought about one (and will likely get one at some point) but here's what's held me back so far:

1. I camp all over the Southeast so in some areas you're much closer to the heaviest part of storms coming out of the Gulf and even far inland the wind and amount of water can hellacious. And when I've made up my mind to go adventuring, I'm hellbent on going. And if you can weather through the storm, the weather in the aftermath is typically beautiful as the system moves away. So I've wondered how well these tents fair in our storms down here. I've read what manufacturers say about the winds they've tested in, but there have been historically so few around here, I've not had a chance to talk to many owners about their experience.

2. Being in ATL I'm either headed to the coast or to the mountains. In the mountains, and again I'll go camping in storms, I've had ground tents damaged by falling branches. The more expensive RTT getting ripped would suck. Whereas replacing my REI or whatever backpacking tent I have doesn't seem as big of a deal.

Finally, I hear ya on the heat thing. Something you may want to try at some point, hammock camping. I have a Hennessey Hammock with mosquito netting. I've woken up cold in the middle of a GA summer in mine. It packs down real small too.

Again, I'll likely get a RTT at some point if for no other reason it's about the only camping gear I have NOT owned. And there are so many good applications for one. I just include the above as things to consider and hopefully help think through it.

Ultralite

Adventurer
I'm across the Gulf to the southeast from you and we use our Kukenam Ruggedized regularly year-round for beach & woodland camping in the sand hills of Central Florida. Besides not getting sand in the tent, we'll very happy to be off the ground away from the scorpions, snakes & wild pigs that populate the region.

We're planning to be up on the Panhandle at Grayton Beach in May with some fellow roof tent campers at an event one of the Florida Tepui guys is organizing so feel free to join us should you get your RTT.

What are the May dates for Grayton? I might be in that area around then.

Scoutman

Explorer
I was just about to start a thread asking the same question when I ran across this one. I currently have a truck camper (with AC) and have thought about getting rid of the bulk and weight of it and going for something I could leave on all the time. My biggest concern here in Alabama is the heat and humidity for the majority of the year. The bugs are also an issue for us (family of 4, kids 4 and 7). The thought of waking up to a wet pillow just really isn't appealing. Curious to see what others say too.

Colorblind729

I was just about to start a thread asking the same question when I ran across this one. I currently have a truck camper (with AC) and have thought about getting rid of the bulk and weight of it and going for something I could leave on all the time. My biggest concern here in Alabama is the heat and humidity for the majority of the year. The bugs are also an issue for us (family of 4, kids 4 and 7). The thought of waking up to a wet pillow just really isn't appealing. Curious to see what others say too.

Finally ended up deciding on a tent this week and it arrived yesterday. I chose the ARB Kakadu for a few reasons: It has wider windows that will help increase ventilation, the canvas is a little thicker than a couple of the other guys, the frame is a little bit stouter and if there's no rain in the forecast, I can take the entire rain fly up and not have to deal with propping up the windows with the metal bars. In addition, one other thing looked promising- the advertised height is 8" tall, a good 4" shorter than a couple other brands. I had 11" clearance between my rack and the header of my carport, so this appealed to me.

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but will definitely be putting it to the test this summer; first trip will be next weekend. What I do know is that I walked outside this morning and picked up the canvas bag that held all the bolts. . . it had sat under the carport all night and it had not rained. Still, when I picked it up, the canvas was wet. So time will tell how this tent will hold up down here in this humidity! So far that is my only concern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman