Anyone make their own roof rack crossbars and mounts?

VicMackey

Adventurer
I have a M101A3 with a Pick-up truck cap on it. I am looking to put cross bars/ roof bars on it to mount a RTT to. I do not need some fancy gutter type of mount designed not to damage a car roof. I would like some sort of bracket(s) that I can bolt right to the roof itself, and then put pipe between them.

Basically I am looking to avoid paying $300 for two or three roof bars, when I can make more durable ones myself. I was thinking of using 3/4" rigid pipe (similar to old school plumbing pipe). The thing I need help finding is some sort of bracket that I can bolt to the roof that the pipe will slide through. I am thinking there has to be something in the plumbing field that will work for me.

Any suggestions?

tarditi

Explorer
U was going to use utilitrack, but found that my roof basket would bolt directly to my trailer lid

VicMackey

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply tarditi.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but don't most roof top tents require bars to mount on? Or can most RTT's simply bolt directly to my roof? My cap has a very sturdy 1"x1" internal aluminum frame that I might be able to mount directly to using "U" bolts from the inside.

I am not afraid to bolt stuff directly to the roof itself.

Any RTT mounting ideas are appreciated. I realize I can buy the "official/proper" mounts off of craigslist, but I am looking to go better, and less expensive.

Last edited:

Martyinco

Adventurer
Why not just make some bars yourself? Oh my homemade trailer I used some 1.25" square tubing and called it a day. If you already have a internal frame just mount it to that with the ubolts that come with most tents.

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
Yep... I wanted something ridiculously rugged. So I went with VanTech. (http://www.vantech.us)

The offer a universal system that can hold a lot of weight. Steel and aluminum components are available. And...cost effective to boot.

C

VicMackey

Adventurer
Why not just make some bars yourself? Oh my homemade trailer I used some 1.25" square tubing and called it a day. If you already have a internal frame just mount it to that with the ubolts that come with most tents.

Part of my problem is that I have never mounted a RTT before. Never really saw one in real life either. I guess at this point, I should probably get the tent, then see what I am dealing with.

Martyinco

Adventurer
Part of my problem is that I have never mounted a RTT before. Never really saw one in real life either. I guess at this point, I should probably get the tent, then see what I am dealing with.

It is literally the easiest thing in the world. Mine mounts with 8 bolts, and the only reason I used 8 is because I built 4 cross bars on my trailer, you can get away with two cross bars for 4 bolts. It took me 15 minutes to place and mount my RTT, and I could have gotten done sooner if I wouldn't have broken a drill bit.

Trailer Painted 2.jpg

VicMackey

Adventurer
It is literally the easiest thing in the world. Mine mounts with 8 bolts, and the only reason I used 8 is because I built 4 cross bars on my trailer, you can get away with two cross bars for 4 bolts. It took me 15 minutes to place and mount my RTT, and I could have gotten done sooner if I wouldn't have broken a drill bit.

View attachment 366106

Thanks Martyinco. It would seem that my best avenue is to get the tent first and go from there. I am talking to three different tent sellers online at this time. I should have one soon.

Thanks for the pic and the reply.

Martyinco

Adventurer
Thanks Martyinco. It would seem that my best avenue is to get the tent first and go from there. I am talking to three different tent sellers online at this time. I should have one soon.

Thanks for the pic and the reply.

www.odindesigns.com free shipping, lifetime warranty, just throwing them into the mix, I know the owner personally, and no it is not a paid endorsement, I had to pay for my tent.

PCO6

Adventurer
I made a simple rack to carry my kayaks & bikes on my utility trailer. I'm currently building an expedition trailer and will be building one for it too. It's basically two 1"x2" steel tube cross bars bolted to the trailer box frame. I used 1.5" thick x 3" dia. rubber buffers to cushion the rails. The kayak (SportRack) & bike (CCM) racks are bolted to the cross bars. It can be put on or taken off in less than 10 minutes.

Attachments

• 16-07-20.jpg
    16-07-20.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 17

b63215b

Adventurer
Here is mine. I have made two for my 3rd Gen 4Runner

2abe0868c4abf7da3a5e1142892518dd.jpg
(don't use this one anymore)

4dac4b4db3ce922b9c284a2135d73c58.jpg

95e918099dc74d10c2899c4d4a7df848.jpg

748346408ae18d905cb115788b6acbd0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
If you want something strong mount the down tubes to the trailer tub to a height above the cap.
I made my rack like that and it holds over 600 pounds.

Attachments

• DSC06717.JPG
    DSC06717.JPG
    320.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC06716.JPG
    DSC06716.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC06719.JPG
    DSC06719.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC07104.JPG
    DSC07104.JPG