Anyone take TOOLS ?

blueeyeddevil

Observer
I haven't seen any pics or info in various build threads about tools and tool storage. Doesn't anyone take tools to fix their rig when it becomes junk?
If I've failed to search properly then by all means delete this post.

blueeyeddevil said:
I haven't seen any pics or info in various build threads about tools and tool storage. Doesn't anyone take tools to fix their rig when it becomes junk?
If I've failed to search properly then by all means delete this post.

Tools? Of course I take tools!
3 boxes and one bag of multiple types of hand tools, 5' torque wrench, Mercedes Star computer, shovel, axe, saw, etc etc.
Who wouldn't take tools?

Charlie

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
As a starter try searching "Tools" and "Tool storage". There has been lots of discussion on the topic.

With my inheritance of my grandfather's tools I am up to three distinct travel tool sets. I had one specifically for Patch and recently I decided to build one specifically for chasing the desert racers, then came grandad's tool box.

A hint that I've posted in past is to work out of the tools that you carry in the vehicle. Start with an empty box/bag/whatever and add the tools that you use as you need them. Avoids carrying a tool you'll never use and familiarizes you with exactly what you have in the vehicle's tool selection. A rule of mine is that vehicle specific special tools stay with the vehicle unless the use is very rare (like the knuckle centering tool used on Toyota front axles). This means that I'll have two wheel bearing sockets, one for the FJ60 and one for Patch, but then I know that either truck has the tools needed to work on it.

seashore

Observer
I follow a similar plan. Truck is always equipped with basic tools, as I have found useful when working on the truck. Specific items are added as the need is found, and this keeps the on-board stock to a minimum.

I use a simple cloth tool roll from Duluth, coupled with a 16" tool box for bulkier items and spares (bulbs, belts, tire repair, etc). Breaker bar, saw, and axe are mounted in the cargo area. Recovery gear in a small, study bag. All there just in case.

I also keep the air tank supplies in the truck at all times-this proved useful when I had a flat in town one day and drew many looks as I swapped out the spare using air tools!

FrozenZJ

I have one of those plastic two drawer tool boxes that I put in spare parts, tape, zip ties, fuel line, rags, u joints, extra yokes, black silicon, some bolts and nuts and some other stuff. I put the tools into one of those collapsible bags. I found that this keep rattleling down and is easeir to carry around. I also keep a cheap impact in the top of the tool box with rags around it.

I also carry a Co2 tank and with the impact, it makes pulling a tire or something a much easier job on the trail.

blueeyeddevil

Observer
This is almost what I was looking for! I totally agree on the put the right tools in the right truck. I use a little craftsman toolbox bolted to the floor in the back right now. (rattles like hell at speed offroad) I would like to see if someone has taken that extra step with a built in box or drawer system, say maybe under a sleeping platform.
Coming over from the desert racing world I'm used to chase trucks with utility beds/boxes with an entire shop in them. Not very practical for overlanding I suppose.
Thanks

S

Scenic WonderRunner

blueeyeddevil said:
Not a garage. A Vehicle!! For MMMMs Sake!!! I've got 15 large worth of tools, I've got a tool box.

I finally figured out the MMMM Problem! I've seen the above a few times....I finally get it!

I hope I don't need to spell it out! (see above!)

I bet it really helps the Mod's....and I totally agree with it!

It was simply a BB Code....mess up...during the conversion!

Great Idea!

Long Live....ExPo!

(hijack...over!) ....hehe!

carry on...without causing M's.....!:D

racingjason

Adventurer
Tools?...I got tools to fix tools.

Being a Series Land Rover a tools set is a must. It may not be the most secure option but I have two largish ammo/shell boxes (lined with blue camping mattress) up on the rack to carry my tools and some spares. My biggest recommendation is organisation in the box. I am a big fan of the plastic cases that hold a complete socket and ratchet set (Craftsman in my case) They take up a bit more room but it is worth it to know, at a glance, if something is missing and laying in the dirt somewhere. The same goes for good quality wrench/spanner roll, just grab the set and go. The roll, the cases and the blue foam should cut a bunch of noise...but like I said, my stuff is up top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior