Anyone used this stuff as a traction mat?

jtrnw

I ran across this in my local farm store. It seems somewhat stiff but still pretty flexible. It would do absolutely no bridging, but it occurs to me it might work well in mud or sand. Anyone else tried it?

n5r68iCl.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
kennel flooring? Seems to me it would be too slick for the tire and the grid would just sink into whatever you were trying to get out of. You need something that will float on the surface somewhat. less open space to grid ratio.

hmmm a roll of expanded metal mesh maybe. Or keep a sheet or strips of it tucked under the floor mats. That would have some nice bite to it. heavier gauge the better

Powder-Coating-Aluminum-Decorative-Expanded-Metal-Mesh.jpg

/once used the corrugated skin off the inside of the tailgate of a '76 Chevy/Isuzu Luv pickup to get unstuck from a sandy riverbed / wash. Tried stuffing sagebrush in as the wheel turned, that didn't go well either. impromptu wheeling session after some community college classes, had ZERO gear along except a few hand tools. Tailgate skin was held on with phillips-head screws.

jtrnw

I think the floatation would be adequate, not great but enough. My main concern, like yours was traction on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater