Anza Borrego: Camping in Blair Valley

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I was able to get out a few weeks ago with some friends and set up camp in Blair Valley out in the Anza Borrego Desert State Park. While it was storming back in town we had great weather out in the desert with only a few very light showers. The main focus of the trip was parents bringing their kids out for some fun while camping and exploring a few of the interesting sights in the area. We hiked up to the old Marshal South Home (Yaquitepec) and checked out the native american pictographs.

4393092563_699220e4ac_b.jpg

4393102971_6c37a4c693_b.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled4.jpg

untitled5.jpg

untitled7.jpg

untitled8.jpg

The history surrounding the South family and their life atop Ghost Mountain is very interesting.

The link here also has several pictures of the family and Yaquitepec.

http://www.desertusa.com/mag05/feb/south2.html

Ghost Mountain was named by Tanya and Marshal South in 1930 when they began their “great experiment” in primitive living, which was later chronicled in the pages of Desert Magazine. No where in the pages of the magazine can a reader find background on the Souths. Their life, as far as the magazine was concerned, began when they commenced building their home, called Yaquitepec, on the waterless ridge of Ghost Mountain in Blair Valley.

Instead of just heading back home along the highway on sunday we kept to the trails as much as we could towards Ocotillo and then Interstate 8. From Vallecito Wash and Carrizo Creek we took Canyon Sin Nombre out to the S-2 and then onto Jojoba Wash, Doz Cabezas Road, and lower Devils Canyon.

4393912254_f2a06edbb0_b.jpg

4393152169_3073c8b54e_b.jpg

untitled12.jpg

Thanks to Ollie and FunJunkie for the pictures. Looking forward to the next trip!

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The wife and I were at the same spots plus the mud caves 3-15 through 3-17. Excellent windless days and clear skies. Driving down I-8 east,we got slammed by some intense winds due to the prevailing Santa Ana condition. The desert however was super. Dust on all the trails was minimized from the recent rains. One place you might include on your next run is Agua Caliente county park. Nice,reasonable campsites or for a minimal fee you can use the mineral pools and hot showers. Excellent place to sooth tired muscles.

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
One place you might include on your next run is Agua Caliente county park. Nice,reasonable campsites or for a minimal fee you can use the mineral pools and hot showers. Excellent place to sooth tired muscles.

Oh yeah, I love that place and my wife is looking forward to staying there as well on. Gotta mix it up a bit instead of always camping with the tent.

BorregoWrangler

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Are they actually running trains through there again or are they just using it as a storage siding? Are train running across the trestle again? Thanks for posting the pics, they brought back plenty of good memories.

They're just storing those there. There a quite a few rock and mud sides blocking the tracks going through the gorge and I don't think the company that owns the tracks has the money to clear it right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman