ARB releases Locker for 05+ M226

Creek

Adventurer
well, it's stronger. But, all Manual Trans Xterra's/Fronty's have the M226 as well - even if it's not the OR/Nismo Package

bigdog

Adventurer
I sure wish they'd come up with something for those of us with the C200. If I were to swap to M226, I'd be happy with the e-locker. But would like the benefit of a locker without swapping diffs!

madizell

Explorer
mcm4090 said:
I don't see how an air locker would be stronger.

Air lockers may not be stronger per se, but in this instance, I believe the ring gear was shaved in order to fit the E-locker, which is not required with the ARB, so if you also replace the ring gear with one not machined down to fit the E-locker install, it might be stronger, depending on where the stock gear was shaved.

Other than that, most ARB carriers are simply better by design. Whether they are technically stronger than stock I suppose would require testing to destruction, but I would not be surprised to find them stronger than stock E-lockers.

The real benefit in my mind would be engagement and disengagement on demand rather than waiting for the computer to decide you really, really mean to shift in or out of locked condition. I would also hope that it no longer matters whether you are in high or low range, 2WD or 4WD, in order to lock the axle.

Dave

Explorer
madizell said:
The real benefit in my mind would be engagement and disengagement on demand rather than waiting for the computer to decide you really, really mean to shift in or out of locked condition. I would also hope that it no longer matters whether you are in high or low range, 2WD or 4WD, in order to lock the axle.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Creek

Adventurer
Thank you Madizell...I haven't been around to explain myself and that's basically what I was getting at. Maybe "stronger" wasn't the correct choice of wording.

On another note, when I do my swap for the M226 w/e-locker, I'll be bypassing the computer. So, technically, I'll also be able to engage the locker in 4-hi, and 2wd :)

DBS311

Adventurer
It's pretty typical from a material standpoint that ARB lockers are stronger than the factory offerings. Take the 80 series Land Cruiser for example. The factory e-lockers are generally stout up to 37" tires, but after that many upgrade to the ARB for strength.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
The base "X" model with manual transmission is now even more appealing.

To demonstrate my ignorance on such matters, the web site linked in that page lists this as $895 but is that for everything that is needed? Paraphrased: Do these things come with the air compressor and if so can it also be used for filling tires?

Cheers,
Graham

Dave

Explorer
Creek said:
On another note, when I do my swap for the M226 w/e-locker, I'll be bypassing the computer. So, technically, I'll also be able to engage the locker in 4-hi, and 2wd :)

Even when I'm in 4low, my factor locker can take longer then I'd like to engage. I've only used it a handful of times though.

Creek

Adventurer
I could be wrong, but I don't believe it comes with the compressor and such. So, that's an additional cost. Installation is another pretty hefty cost as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle