Are the Biggest Tires Possible Worth it on a Van?

Scotty D

For offroad especially sand, you want the smallest rim with the tallest , thinnest tire so you can air down and float on the surface

Muggydude,

I feel like I’ve stood in your shoes.

I owned a 148” WB Transit low-roof with Quigley 4x4, VC rear shock brackets, 245/65/16 (30.5”) A/T tires, warn winch, upgraded shocks, skid plate, etc. I loved it. It was definitely one of the more off-road capable Transits I’ve seen, and it got me to some really cool dispersed camp sites.

Was it worth it to upgrade from the factory 235/65/16 28” tires? Absolutely 100% slam dunk.

Would it have been worth it to go from 30.5” to something larger? After a lot of thinking and research, the answer for me was NO.

As LionZoo points out earlier in this thread, going even larger gets you into the land of diminishing marginal returns – the cost/benefit ratio is not favorable. Articulation increasingly becomes a limiting factor. If I’d further increased tire size, I think there’s a decent chance I’d have eventually rolled my van, just because I’d be more inclined to get into situations that were inappropriate for my van.

Your current setup is killer and highly functional. Like 86Scotty said, everything is a tradeoff. More off-road capability comes with tradeoffs, not just limited to cost. The EcoBoost Transit drives like a DREAM on the road. And with the mods you already have, your off-road capability is not bad and already nearing the limits for a long wheelbase, high roof, unibody van. You’ve got a nice balance of comfort and capability.

Unless I missed it, you didn’t say who you’re traveling with. Based on the size of your rig, I’m guessing wife and kids may be involved. My advice is to drive the heck out of it, and make some good memories. Only then will you have an accurate sense of how often you’re having to turn around due to technical trail challenges. If off-road limitation become a significant point of frustration for you, then I’d advise to sell the Transit and get an E-Series van or a truck camper. In the case of a truck camper, be prepared not to be able to get from your drivers’ seat to the “living” area without going outside. Again, no setup is without drawbacks and compromises.

PS 12,000Wh? So, 1,000Ah? Holy smokes!

dman93

Adventurer
We have a 148 non-extended Transit, AWD with EcoBoost and 2” VC lift. As a few others said, I think there are probably diminishing returns above a certain size. In fact I chose 245/70’s, on the stock rim, rather than 245/75. Just to provide a bit more clearance In front, as well as in back for chains. Though I’ve never needed chains yet. I came from a Tacoma and between the height, tippiness and lack of articulation, I‘m not sure ground clearance other than breakover is that much of a limit. And breakover is a concern for me because of underbody gray tank and Espar heater which really need better protection and/or relocation. I do have the raised rear shock brackets, and VC skipdplate in front and under the diff.

My perspective is based on almost 50K miles with about 30K on the tires and 25K on the lift, mostly in the West; Sierra fireroads, Death Valley and eastern Sierra and Mojave Dirt, a bit of slow crawling but nothing extreme. stuck once in Anza-Borrego when crossed up, a bit of digging and traction boards got me out. Now with a 2WD you could do a lot more lift and then big tires might help gain even more ground clearance. But I’m finding the AWD is excellent and though steep downhills are sometimes a challenge even in first, 10 speed plus EcoBoost are pretty good for climbing even with 3.73 gears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior