Arizona/Grand Canyon May 2011

lam396

Adventurer
Hmm... I'm always hesitant to give Grand Canyon hiking advice to folks I don't know. I've seen fat people do OK and marathoners die so it's a crap shoot. If your a strong hiker and have carried your child before or can practice it before the trip, you should be alright. Just use your common sense and remember you are going downhill first so the self limiting factor of "climbing" is not there. As far as the weather, yes, it can snow in May. It is unlikely to pose a problem though. I've been there twice with snow in May:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14895

http://www.yotatech.com/f100/arizona-strip-grand-canyon-southern-utah-central-nevada-trip-212020/

...and both times it was a non issue. More of an interesting aside. The main hwy 67 from Jacob Lake to the GCNP is closed until May 15th so that gives you an idea. The powers that be are very conservative/cautious in that respect. As far as spots to go, it looks like you already have some really good threads and recommendations on tap. Where will you be travelling to/from?

Also, a nice site with lots of good trail info.
http://www.bobspixels.com/kaibab.org/bc/gc_trail.htm#north

I really appreciate the advice and concern. I think that the N. Kaibab trail to roaring springs is the only trail we will do that will go below the rim. For all the reasons you mentioned above I dont want to push it especially with the son and wife. From my research I'm pretty confident that I can make it to the springs and back with no problem.

If it was just my wife and me I wouldnt be concerned about cold/snow but I'm a little more hesitant with my son. Its harder to keep a baby warm and happy but I really would prefer my original dates due to my work schedule. I guess in reality I can wait untill its closer to make the call on when to go and watch some forecasts for the area.

I will be coming from St. Louis, so the plan was I-70 west then south on I-15. That will get me in the area I want to be in then jump over to Fredonia as a start. And from there I'm not sure the order of my destinations but I have started a google map and will update that and hopefully get it posted by the end of the week.

Again, I really appreciate the advice.

BLKNBLU

Explorer
It looks like I mentioned Pt Sublime in one of my other posts (linked by the OP) but in looking at it more closely, I believe Ed B is right that Sublime is within the Park boundaries and therefore no camping. If you follow the map up north from there though you find that the park boundary at some point just follows the rim of the canyon. In those spots you can be right at the edge but not "in the park" so camping is allowed. Check Fire,Timp, Monument, Crazy Jug, and maybe Tiyo points.

I understand if you're from east of here why you would want to work your way back east. If you get as far as west Toroweap then Zion is not really out of the way. Slot canyons can be found straight north of the GCNP/Jacob Lake area.
http://www.wildbackpacker.com/destination/buckskin/buckskingulch.html

East of Page is an area called Antelope canyon, a very picturesque slot canyon. It is also highly controlled, touristy and only visited with a Native American guide. Not some folks cup of tea, but google up some photos and you might still want to go.

Mexican Hat and Goosenecks I'll have to leave for the Utah guys. I don't know much about them (yet).

Almost forgot. If you get out to Toroweap, google up "Nampaweap rock art" which is also right in the area.

lam396

Adventurer
Is camping allowed at Point Sublime?

I was under the assumption that camping was allowed with a permit. Is this not the case? If not we will just back track into the NF and find a nice spot like BLKNBLU on his trip.

I will look into Antelope Canyon. We tend to shy away from "tourist" areas but it might be a good introduction to our first slot canyons, especially with the risks of flash floods.

Thanks for the heads up on the rock art! I think we are definatly going to check it out.

ThomD

Explorer
I was under the assumption that camping was allowed with a permit. Is this not the case? If not we will just back track into the NF and find a nice spot like BLKNBLU on his trip.

I will look into Antelope Canyon. We tend to shy away from "tourist" areas but it might be a good introduction to our first slot canyons, especially with the risks of flash floods.

Thanks for the heads up on the rock art! I think we are definatly going to check it out.

Camping at Point Sublime can be done with a permit. Check the NPS site for details. The guide book I have says of the route out "high clearance vehicles...overhead clearance is tight for anyone carrying bikes on the roof".

lam396

Adventurer
Well, due to some changes at work, we have had to push the trip back. Originally planned for late May, we won't be able to go until the last week of July or the first week of Aug. I can see average temps for the N. rim but should we avoid going during that time due to heat? I have also read that thunderstorms are possible so I dont really want to get rained out either. If we go we will most likely pass on the N. Kaibab trail due to the higher temps below the rim but we could decide that when we get there.

If we don't go to the GC our other options will probably take us to Yellowstone. Any words of advice?

Well, due to some changes at work, we have had to push the trip back. Originally planned for late May, we won't be able to go until the last week of July or the first week of Aug. I can see average temps for the N. rim but should we avoid going during that time due to heat? I have also read that thunderstorms are possible so I dont really want to get rained out either. If we go we will most likely pass on the N. Kaibab trail due to the higher temps below the rim but we could decide that when we get there.

If we don't go to the GC our other options will probably take us to Yellowstone. Any words of advice?

I worked at the North Rim for two seasons when I was fresh out of High School. You will have no problems there with the higher temps as it is a forested area. I do not remember anything significant about the rainstorms that time of year so cannot comment on that.

Kevin

lam396

Adventurer
Ok, it's time to finalize some plans. As of right now the tenative plan is to camp at the north rim camp ground Sat, Sun and Mon night. Then on Tues get up and make the drive to Point Sublime. We will camp there Tues and Wed night. We will probably drive some of the trails to some other points close to PS those two days. After staying at PS I am kinda lost on what our plans will be. I have decided to skip Torroweap because I have read that since it is much lower that it will be pretty hot and I think we want to try to stay some what cool. I will be bringing our bikes and chariot trailer for the kid so I was thinking about finding some bike trails or FSR in the National Forest that we could get some good views in on the bikes but it would have to be capable of having a trailer in tow. We will be leaving for home on Saturday so I'm thinking that it may be nice to stay at the North Rim campground Fri night to take advantage of the showers before the 24 hr drive home. So really, that just leaves Thurs night up in the air, unless we should only stay at Sublime for one night, rather than two. And in that case, I guess Wed and Thurs could be spent at another location if there was bike trails and/or hiking trails to keep us busy for a couple days.

Also, since this is getting close to departure date, should I have this moved to the adventure planning section for more visiblity?

I really appreciate all the advice. This is going to be my wifes first trip with any camping that could be considered remote so I want to make it great for her (and my son) so that she has a desire to continue to do them and to make them increasingly remote and adventerous.

4671 Hybrid

Adventurer
Just a note that if your little one has an "accident" on the road, Flying J and most major truckstops have showers for $5. Since you mentioned the 24hr drive home, I thought I'd put it out there in case you didn't know.

Also, make sure that you ride the bikes and trailer on the same types of road conditions as the trails you're thinking of. It's one thing to tow a trailer on a smooth road but entirely another on a bumpy trail. I have a double wide trailer and while my kids used to love all the bumps and jolts, man was it hard to pedal and pull that thing!

Last edited:

lam396

Adventurer
Thanks for the advice about the showers. With the baby wipes and such, I think we should be able to avoid that assuming we leave clean! I am a little nervous about the trailer since I haven't had it out on really bumpy trails but I will be getting to some before we depart.

Any other recomendations for how long to stay in each spot? I may have convinced the wife that we can camp at spots with no toilet so camping in the Kaibab NF is another option for a couple days so that we can bike or hike right out of the camp spot. That is one of the reasons I think only 1 night at Point Sublime will be enough since there are no real trail heads at or near the camp that I am aware of. If that isn't correct, let me know.

Thanks for any hints, tips or advice...

ThomD

Explorer
Rainbow Rim. Runs along the canyon rim. Designed fo rmountain bikes, but a very nice hikink route. Camp around Locust Point. No facilities, but plenty of quiet.

lam396

Adventurer
Rainbow Rim. Runs along the canyon rim. Designed fo rmountain bikes, but a very nice hikink route. Camp around Locust Point. No facilities, but plenty of quiet.

The Rainbow Rim trail was recomended by someone else as well. I think we will check it out and at least hike it. I have seen very few pictures of it because I have been rather unsuccesfull finding info on it...do you think I would be able to pull my kid trailer with my bike on it or is it to technical?

Micky

I love to visit the canyon and the photography of the the canyon thanks
for providing this location and I am going to visit these locations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12