Arkto G12 Review and Discussion

ruadhrigh

Before the trip I added a light to the pantry door. I had some leftover bits from unfinished van projects and found some lights in my stash. Made a quick harness with a 12v outlet (cig lighter), conveniently there's a 12v outlet right inside the pantry door. Fixed the light to pantry door with some 3M VHB tape and we just plug it in when cooking after sunset. Forgot to get photos but I can take some if anyone is interested.

Snapped some pictures of the light. I wasn't sure where I wanted to mount the light so I made the harness kinda long. I have a couple other lighting projects so I will trim that up and work on some better routing.

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • light_2.jpg
    light_2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24

ruadhrigh

We couldn't find a convenient place for a paper towel roll. Usually just tucked it in the cabinet and pulled it out as needed.

Realized that I never use the handle on the fridge, just pull out that slide by the tray. So I removed the handle and match drilled a paper towel holder. Worked out really well for us on our last trip. While driving the roll likes to unravel so I just wrap a bungee cord around it.

Attachments

• towel_mount.jpg
    towel_mount.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • towel_mount_2.jpg
    towel_mount_2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20

EPO

It’s a 22 F350, with the gas 7.3L motor and 10 speed transmission. Way overkill for the Arkto. I can only tell it’s there when seeing it in the mirror.
Nice. I have a Ranger and thinking about switching to an F150 for a variety of reasons including longer range gas tank which would be better.

ruadhrigh

I was pretty set on getting a F150, but was worried about payload with two dirt bikes and the trailer tongue weight.

I wish I could have made a Ranger work but the bed is a bit short for our extra curricular activities. Does the Ranger have different motor options like the F150?

EPO

I was pretty set on getting a F150, but was worried about payload with two dirt bikes and the trailer tongue weight.

I wish I could have made a Ranger work but the bed is a bit short for our extra curricular activities. Does the Ranger have different motor options like the F150?
350 is understandable.

My Ranger is the 2.3L 4cyl turbo ecoboost. To my knowledge, that's the engine available in the Tremor. At least, everyone that I know of has that engine. Plenty of power and a great vehicle to take long trips in. Perhaps not the best at towing but that isn't the main function of the truck.

ruadhrigh

Finally got around to moving the BT receiver. Arkto sent out an email describing the issue and fix with a video link. The hardware came shortly after that and in typical Arkto style, everything was well documented and easy to follow.

Of course I deviated a bit from the instructions to better suit our uses. In the second part of the video Aaron mentions relocating the AC Inverter remote panel. Instead of modifying my power distribution panel I relocated the 3D printed block the remote panel was installed on. Everything else I just followed along with the instructions.

I was having intermittent connectivity issues with the BT controlled accessories so hopefully this alleviates that.

New placement of the inverter remote:

IMG_2093.jpeg

BT Link tucked up into the boot cubby:IMG_E2095.jpeg

Arkto

Finally got around to moving the BT receiver. Arkto sent out an email describing the issue and fix with a video link. The hardware came shortly after that and in typical Arkto style, everything was well documented and easy to follow.

Of course I deviated a bit from the instructions to better suit our uses. In the second part of the video Aaron mentions relocating the AC Inverter remote panel. Instead of modifying my power distribution panel I relocated the 3D printed block the remote panel was installed on. Everything else I just followed along with the instructions.

I was having intermittent connectivity issues with the BT controlled accessories so hopefully this alleviates that.

New placement of the inverter remote:

View attachment 818342

BT Link tucked up into the boot cubby:View attachment 818343
Lookings good! Let us know if any questions pop up. Happy to help out.

skyhogg

Hey guys I just wanted to post regarding a cool mod for you bikers. I pretty much exclusively use my camper for mountain biking. Really wanted to be able to use my rack but alas it was too long and extended the bikes and weight way out towards the truck.

So I came up with an idea and had my buddy who owns Alta Racks design it for me. This is designed specifically for the G12 but will work on any receiver. The vertical bar runs right into the adaptor and can secure with a pin or a bolt. The bikes will tuck up right up to the camper without touching. You need about 1.5" from the aft edge of the receiver to the surface of the camper (the G12 has the proper clearance).

This makes it possible to carry multiple bikes. depending on weight of bikes I have no issue with up to 4. The whole rack system weighs maybe 50lbs and my 4 bikes come in at 96. That weight is tucked so far aft that is almost like it's sitting in the front cargo bin. I dont notice any tongue weight related bad towing manners at all. Best of all I can jackknife almost a full 90 degrees without the bikes making contact with the truck. Big bikes may have to have the seat post loosened but this is a game changer for me. The awning puts out over the top of the rack no problem which is a bonus.

If anyone is interested in this you can contact Alta Racks. Kudos to them for making this out of the jumbled mess of an idea that I brought them. They make awesome racks and accessories so this is a perfect fit. Aaron at Arkto also told me he may want to make it an option for new builds as well. Anyhoo...enjoy!

Attachments

• Rack 2.jpg
    Rack 2.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Rack 1.jpg
    Rack 1.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Full open.jpg
    Full open.jpg
    827.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Jackknife small bike.jpg
    Jackknife small bike.jpg
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Adaptor.jpg
    Adaptor.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 28

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Looks awesome. I love my Alta Rack. Does it limit your turning radias? Mine is the more traditional set up. With side straps and brakes engaged it does not budge or create sway. That said my hikes are very light

Attachments

• 20231205_060519.jpg
    20231205_060519.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 20231205_060531.jpg
    20231205_060531.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 16

skyhogg

Thats a nice rig! I used to run my Alta 4 place on the back like that and it worked well enough but I didn't like how much the bikes were bouncing and whipping around even strapped. I also noticed a bit of sway with my old camper as it added 200lbs so far aft. This is one of the reasons I liked the G12 with Aarons front receiver design. But I still needed the 4 bikes.

The 4th pic shows me at about a 75 degree turn with room to spare. Can open the tailgate and shell door with no issues. And can park the bikes there locked up overnight. Best of all I can keep an eye on them down the road. The 4 bikes are worth almost as much as the dam camper after all...

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Thanks it works well for me. Huge fan of Arkto and A-Aron. I do have a rear camera to keep an eye on the bikes. I am pushing the tounge weight on my gx. Looking at the Alta bike repair stand. Do you know why Ali says not to travel with it mounted?

skyhogg

Thanks it works well for me. Huge fan of Arkto and A-Aron. I do have a rear camera to keep an eye on the bikes. I am pushing the tounge weight on my gx. Looking at the Alta bike repair stand. Do you know why Ali says not to travel with it mounted?
Yes! The design of the stand at the point where it mounts into a receiver isn't engineered to withstand the forces it would be subjected to. The weld would likely fail. He told me its just designed to be stationary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior