Audi Q7 expedition rig?

kfgk14

Adventurer
I've been looking at the Q7's specs (mom thinks they look real nice) and they're impressive with air suspension! They have electronically locking front, center and rear differentials from the factory, a 4.85 first gear, 8 speed Tiptronic transmission with two overdrive gears, and 9.4" of ground clearance when fully risen (when equipped with air suspension of course). Crazy torque in the TDI model, too: 406 ft-lb at under 2000 RPM's :coffeedrink:

There's more, of course. Anyone looking for a slightly more than mild off-roader with serious luxury besides should consider the Q7, Imagine if you pulled the 3rd row seats and used the resulting extra room for a big storage system :ylsmoke:

Just some mental spit-balling. I haven't the slightest means to pursue a Q7 build, or any other luxury SUV build for expo, or any luxury SUV at all. But it's still cool to dream, and maybe watch one of you wealthier folks do it?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So you are asking for ideas on a car you have no intention of buying? Try a search for the Touareg threads on the forum, same car with different badges.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
For similar money, there is absolutely no reason to choose the Q7 over the Land Rover LR4 for an "expedition" vehicle.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Couple years ago a buddy of mine rented an Audi Q7 (free upgrade) and got a flat tire just outside of Death Valley. Took them 3 days to get a replacement tire for the 20" rims so their trip to Death Valley was a bust and never made it. They ended up setting up their tents on the beds inside their hotel to simulate camping.

Don't get me wrong, I love Audi's but the Q7 does not stack up to well to the competition. This class is dominated by the Land Cruiser and Gwagon because they are amazing offroad vehicles. The Q7 has poor approach and departure angles and no after market. Take a Gwagon or a Cruiser off road and you quickly realize why the Q7 does not stack up when off the pavement.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Being a Audi tech I can second the warnings. It was NOT designed to be a offroad vehicle. They are good at making you think that it is but I assure you it isn't. You are better off with a LR LR4, Lexus or Toyota. All of which have a proven track record offroad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior