Australian 477MHz CB legal in US?

isaac

Observer
On a recent trip to Australia I was impressed by these tiny GME CB radios:

tx3100_f.jpg

They operate on 477 MHz not US-style 27 MHz (though GME makes those too, they're not tiny). So is that legal in US? I am guessing no, that it lands in an amateur non-public band... anybody know? Haven't had time to research this.

Related (maybe) can anybody explain why the Aussie 4WDs often run 2 antennas? Not on opposite mirrors or corners, but side by side? My best guess(es) were A) one is for Marine VHF and the other CB, or B) running a splitter and two antennas on the CB, one high-gain for longer reach, the other a "spherical" radiation pattern better for "pitchy" trails.

Check it out: http://www.gme.net.au/public/pdf/brochures/antennaslr.pdf

This GME brochure shows one beefy white antenna on the front bumper... but imagine two side by side (foot apart?) looking identical. That is weirdly common in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney, anyway.

Thoughts?

- Isaac

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
On a recent trip to Australia I was impressed by these tiny GME CB radios:

tx3100_f.jpg

They operate on 477 MHz not US-style 27 MHz (though GME makes those too, they're not tiny). So is that legal in US? I am guessing no, that it lands in an amateur non-public band... anybody know? Haven't had time to research this.

Related (maybe) can anybody explain why the Aussie 4WDs often run 2 antennas? Not on opposite mirrors or corners, but side by side? My best guess(es) were A) one is for Marine VHF and the other CB, or B) running a splitter and two antennas on the CB, one high-gain for longer reach, the other a "spherical" radiation pattern better for "pitchy" trails.

Check it out: http://www.gme.net.au/public/pdf/brochures/antennaslr.pdf

This GME brochure shows one beefy white antenna on the front bumper... but imagine two side by side (foot apart?) looking identical. That is weirdly common in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney, anyway.

Thoughts?

- Isaac

In OZ they usually run 2 antennas for a high range and low range. They are switchable and also serve as redundancy. Corrugations can sever an antenna easily and a backup is also a good idea.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I cannot speak for everyone but we used to use the fibreglass dipoles for remote work only and run the smaller whips for local stuff (both UHF). The fibreglass ones screw off for running around town etc. Some of the ones where you see 2 are based on having UHF (477 mHz) and then the HF (5 - 15 mHz I think) Flying Doctor type coverage for really remote work.

Codan HF antenna on the bullbar and a UHF gutter mounted.

ma93500.jpg

Last edited:

isaac

Observer
Thanks guys, appreciate the speedy comments.

Weird that GME pulled down that photo the day after I link to it here. Here's the rest of that 477MHz model line:
http://www.gme.net.au/products/radio-communications/uhf-477mhz-cb-radios/TX3100

So if it's not legal to run Aussie 477 UHF here in the US... what does it run afoul of... what use is that band allocated to here in the US? Just curious. I like the form factor and quality of these Aussie UHF CBs a lot better than the GMRS stuff I've seen in person (so far anyway).

- Isaac

gary in ohio

Explorer
477mhz puts you in the land mobile commercial and fixed station bands. All licensed radio services.
Since US GMRS radio can use any commercial radio, the form factor is similar to the Assuise UHF stuff plus you get up to 50 watts compared 5watts down under.

Mashurst

Adventurer
Those are cool little rigs. If they did one that was not channelized for the US 440 ham band I would think the size would be a hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan