Awning - Problems with pooling water?

bluebruin

Adventurer
I'd like to hear from some awning owners.... especially the ARB and Campinglab awnings. Do you have problems with the thing just turning into a huge swimming pool on top when it pours? If not, why not, is there really enough tension on the tarp to keep the water moving?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
No problems here, if its raining bad I angle it down enough to keep the water moving. I suppose in bad enough rain or snow it could puddle up, I've not run into it in my uses.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
interesting, I guess that's why they all come with adjustable poles.

That and different height rigs and different mounting locations warrant the ability to adjust on the extended end as well. I suppose if one were having issues with puddling and found themselves in wet weather often, you could build an additional crossbar that stores with the awning and attaches in the middle of the awning to help prevent or at least minimize puddling.

grimbo

Explorer
I also
Just angle my ARB as per the others. Any awning will pool water unless it has some sort of frame that pitches the centre of the awning up higher than the rest of it. You could probably make a frame up that attaches to the four solid side bars and meet in the middle which would be a lot of mucking around or just lower one corner

dlh62c

Explorer
.....is there really enough tension on the tarp to keep the water moving?

Good question!

Does the awning have guideline stakeout points?

When using a free standing dining fly, I use Rubber Strap Bungee Cords between the guidelines and the ground stakes to act as shock absorbers and to keep tension in the fabric.

daryl

31ntXRrJxJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

Healeyjet

Explorer
I am not sure if this is what anyone has said but if you extend one of the support legs higher than the other water will flow right off. You can direct the flow of water off the awning as well in this way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle