Baja 1000 Truck # 876 Crash Details

mboelts

Car 303 support crew here

I stumbled across this when trying to find out if there were any pictures of the crash. Glad to hear that everyone is doing good. When we pulled up on the crash we could not believe that you guys were actually walking around. Unless you were there looking down past our truck to see the wrekage below you will not really understand the severity of what you guys went through. Unfortunately, this is part of racing especially in Baja! I got to say though, you guys bilt one hell of a roll cage! If someone out there needs one talk to these guys fabricator (I believe that Mike said it was Brett). There car was unbelievably mangled until you got down to it and realized that the sheet metal was really just pushed into the cage and that it was still basically in great shape. We wish that we were able to help you all get more of your car out, but the bandidos that were stalking our truck went down and were stripping your car as you guys made the turn to go down the hill. No satisfaction for you, but we were finally able to get a wrecker up the mountain that was able to pull our car back to the road and we drove it back down to Rm210 and were out of the race for this year! We will be back next year! and we hope to see you all there.

Mike

mboelts

Race 303 support crew

I stumbled across this when trying to find out if there were any pictures of the crash. Glad to hear that everyone is doing good. When we pulled up on the crash at about 0600 we could not believe that you guys were actually walking around. Unless you were there looking down past our truck to see the wrekage below you will not really understand the severity of what you guys went through. Unfortunately, this is part of racing especially in Baja! I got to say though, you guys bilt one hell of a roll cage! If someone out there needs one talk to these guys fabricator (I believe that Mike said it was Brett). There car was unbelievably mangled until you got down to it and realized that the sheet metal was really just pushed into the cage and that it was still basically in great shape. We wish that we were able to help you all get more of your car out, but the bandidos that were stalking our truck went down and were stripping your car as you guys made the turn to go down the hill. No satisfaction for you, but we were finally able to get a wrecker up the mountain that was able to pull our car back to the road and we drove it back down to Rm210 and were out of the race for this year! We will be back next year! and we hope to see you all there.

Mike

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
that is awesome and congrats. Also to Brett too.. I hardly know him in person but we had been "internet buddies" for years and turns out he was even a couple years older than me at the same high school in Massachussetts. Also possibly one of the most informed / educated cruiserheads I know with as much knowledge as probably the top 20 cruiserheads on the entire ih8mud board. Anyway, that is just awesome that he made it out in 1 piece and better yet that his own cage was able to save his life to the extent that it did. Cheers, Andre

Brad Kilby

Observer
Dang Kevin! You guys sure had an adventure down there. I'm glad to hear everyone made out ok and 303, you guys rock! Looks like you were driving a Dodge Ramcharger too, no? You guys should give yourself a pat on the back for taking care of a fellow racer. Anyhow, I played "Rescue Wrangler" at the last 500 when there was an accident and understand the whole rescue bit. It's not a good situation to be in but you're sure glad to help as much as possible.

viter

Adventurer
Brad Kilby said:
Dang Kevin! You guys sure had an adventure down there. I'm glad to hear everyone made out ok and 303, you guys rock! Looks like you were driving a Dodge Ramcharger too, no? You guys should give yourself a pat on the back for taking care of a fellow racer. Anyhow, I played "Rescue Wrangler" at the last 500 when there was an accident and understand the whole rescue bit. It's not a good situation to be in but you're sure glad to help as much as possible.

sorry to get off topic, but do you mean you were the guy from BFG pit trying to save the unconscious guy from a rolled vehicle in the middle of the night at the last baja 500?

if so, great job for trying to help!!!
I was camping by the coast watching the race and we heard the whole story unfold on the weatherman channel in the middle of the night - we all were feeling horrible for what was going on... it was chilling to say the least...

the guys from 303 - you rule and I think karma will pay you back!!!

one of the reasons I like off-roading so mmuch is cause there are a lot of people who are willing to help each other as if they were friends for a long time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan