Balancing Beadlock Wheels

aknightinak

I ran 36" bias ply HMMWV tires and rims on a CJ5, used 16oz of airsoft bbs in each tire. I could run 65 with no issues... it wasn't really geared to go much faster than that.

Only down side is they made a little bit of noise when going very slow.

I used about the same of copperhead BBs in some 36 bias, made a fair bit of noise going slow and a neat raining sound a few seconds after they stopped, but it worked. Next, I ran 37s also bias, and the custom shop I used at the time hung them on the machine and did a static balance until they were satisfied how they spun at speed, then added Counteract beads secondarily. That worked really well. The wheels were old-school Champions that were pretty notorious for being hard to balance.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Look up Wehring and check his super single rim thread. He has a brand new design being made by Centramatic. Primarily for Super Singles but he's a wealth of knowledge and a great guy!

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I never had good luck with the active balancers......golf balls, airsoft BBs, etc. They always seemed to be speed sensitive and even turning seemed to unsettle them.

Hang or bubble balancing the complete package is possible at home. This will get you pretty dang close. You can use stick on weights inside the wheel or perhaps clip on depending on how your wheels where built.

The absolute best way to balance big tires is with weighted tire patches. This requires an initial setup on a balancer....marking the tire and wheel relationship....then a total disassembly. The weighted patches are then applied to the inside of the tire similar to a repair patch. Because the weight is very close to the OD of the tire, the weight is very efficient in its placement and you need much less overall weight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998