Bel air campers off road strength

AaronBlume

So I have a GFC on my Tacoma. Decided I didn’t like it and miss my hard sided camper shell. I’m looking into a bel air camper. I’ve seen pictures of the construction of bel air campers, and they look like primarily wood interior with aluminum skin. Can anyone weigh in how this will last going down minor off road trails? Light rocks, washboard, etc.

I was hoping to order a custom tradesmen with metal frame, but have since learned they’re out of business. Looking for something like the photo.

Attachments

• ED5F5C5E-E15D-4703-8407-58EEE5D6BC9A.jpeg
    ED5F5C5E-E15D-4703-8407-58EEE5D6BC9A.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 44

jmodz

I had a Bel-Air camper on my F-150 for a year and 30k miles. I went on a lot of trips that year with a lot of miles off pavement. Mostly forest service roads, some worse than others. I bought it used, and the previous owner had it for a few years and did a lot of trips too. In my limited experience it was holding up very well, and I think one would last quite a while. I think we get a little hung up on the newest and greatest construction methods when in reality there is nothing wrong with wood framing with aluminum skinning. No, it won’t hold up the same as a GFC, but I’d wager it’ll last and would be simple to repair if anything does happen. I’d ask yourself how long you plan on keeping it and going from there. They are also likely far cheaper than a similar Tradesman camper would have been and can sometimes be found used in SoCal.

The downsides to the bel air were pretty much the same as any camper, dust intrusion and mpg hit. I’m a little over 6’ and couldn’t quite stand up with it on my full-sized truck so on a mid-sized you probably won’t be able to depending on how tall you are. I also wish it could be removed like a 4 wheel camper.

I had an AT summit as well, and I preferred the bel-air by far! The hard-sided campers are just in a different league in terms of comfort in inclement weather.

jmodz

Here are a few images of what mine looked like. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4607.JPG
    IMG_4607.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4602.JPG
    IMG_4602.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4516.JPG
    IMG_4516.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 52

Noah_kurkowski

So I have a GFC on my Tacoma. Decided I didn’t like it and miss my hard sided camper shell. I’m looking into a bel air camper. I’ve seen pictures of the construction of bel air campers, and they look like primarily wood interior with aluminum skin. Can anyone weigh in how this will last going down minor off road trails? Light rocks, washboard, etc.

I was hoping to order a custom tradesmen with metal frame, but have since learned they’re out of business. Looking for something like the photo.
Hey Aaron! This is pretty funny but that picture you attached to your post is my truck! I don’t even remember taking that photo hahaha! Did Jeff from bel air shells send you it?? I don’t care or anything just curious. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan