Best interior materials????

khronus79

Adventurer
If you were to reupholster your interior, what materials would you use to make it more durable, rugged, easier to clean, waterproof, etc????

For seating surfaces, is cordura better than vinyl, what about leather or plain old cloth????

Carpet on the floor, rubber mats or just bedline the whole thing???

east_tn_81

Adventurer
If I had it my way bed liner on the floor with some lizard skin on the bottom of the cab. And maybe neoprene seat covers.

libarata

Expedition Leader
For the floorboards, I would use a spray on bedliner, and a cloth mat. For the seats, I would go with cheapo vinyl, and a super comfy seat cover.

jdlobb

Adventurer
high quality equipment grade leather is probably the best possible material for seats. I can imagine it would be VERY expensive though. Obviously not typical automotive seat leather, but the grade of leather they make luggage and motorcycle jackets out of.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
When you say "best" it really helps to know the intended purpose. Is it a "top off" Jeep that will get rained on or a full top vehicle that will see lots of highway miles? Is comfort/sound deadening or ease of cleaning more important?
My truck has a full top, sees highway around Colorado and Utah but sees many off road miles from dusty dirt to deep snow, hunting, camping, trails up to a rating of 9.
Personally I like cloth seats...cooler in the summer warmer in the winter. I have seat covers on them so I can throw them in the washing machine when needed. For the interior floor and sides I have Herculined then carpeted. I like the carpet as it keeps out engine heat as well as makes in interior quieter and keeps the heat in in the winter.

Darrell

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Cordura is great for seat covers. I have a set from coverking.com and so far, no complaints. Sheds water and dirt easily. Just wipe the mud off when it dries. The downside is it doesn't breath like fabric, so be ready to sweat if you have them. But its still vastly superior to vinyl since it doesn't deteriorate in the sun as much.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
cordura is good, the back seat of my dually is covered with it. cordura will fade in sun light for you topless guys. neoprene does not handle sun light at all, my brother tried it in his blazer topless didn't last much longer than a year, it just rotted. I have had the idea of using a cow hide(full grain leather with the hair on) for the lower part of my front seat. highdesertranger

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
What kind of vehicle? What is it worth? Will you be selling it or trading it off? An improvement is in the eye of the beholder, what you may see as utilitarian and purpose driven could devalue your vehicle on the market. Seat covers can come off. Spraying bedliner on everything probably wouldn't be attractive to others. I'd suggest what ever you do make sure you can put it back in stock condition or in a manner that will be most acceptable (carpet probably) to most potential buyers.

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
leather. i like leather. everything else sucks.

i'll leave you to guess what kind of vehicle I like to drive.:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan