best way to get power from the cab to the bed on a new tundra

cozmo2312

Observer
or any truck for that matter? i want to run a wire from the cab to the bed with a switch in the cab for some bed lights. there are some plastic cap looking things at the front of the bed that look like i can drill through to run a wire, but what about the cab? i really don't want to drill into the cab.

anyone done this?

thanks.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
With any significant load, Ill always run power wihtin the frame rails from engine bay (battery) to bed, and use a relay.

That way the switch doesnt carry the load, and can be installed almost anywhere in the cab using small conductors.

cozmo2312

Observer
With any significant load, Ill always run power wihtin the frame rails from engine bay (battery) to bed, and use a relay.

That way the switch doesnt carry the load, and can be installed almost anywhere in the cab using small conductors.

hmmm, that's a good idea... hadn't thought of going under the cab. and it won't be a big load, just some LED lights to light up the bed at night.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Would you recommend a relay for just some LED bed lights?

It certainly isnt a problem, But a relay for such a small load isnt exactly required.

But IMO I figure if you are getting power back there, you may as well get a solid source of power for future needs.

Its just as much work to do it, just a little more expensive for larger wire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12