Best Year For XJ?

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
The few times I've needed to go to a dealer for parts, they hate me - there's no telling if the part I need is listed as a '96 or a '97 application. There's no rage like the rage a 60+ year old dealership parts guy feels, that has to get up off his stool at the counter to verify for himself that the XXXX on the Jeep parked outside really is a factory installed 1997 XXXX.

lol - nothing too add - just quoted for truth! :)

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
That said, my XJ's been ultra-reliable. I figure I'm benefitting from 97+ mechanical improvements, while still enjoying the older exterior/interior style (there are a few of us who do prefer the original interior, no cup holders and all).
This is a good point - if you are "width challenged" you may find the older interior more comfortable since the interior door panels are thinner.

ColoCherokees

Observer
This is a good point - if you are "width challenged" you may find the older interior more comfortable since the interior door panels are thinner.

Not "width challenged," myself, but I see what you mean - the new interior does feel a bit more snug. My preference is totally subjective - the interior in the 97+ XJs I've test-driven certainly looks more modern but feels/sounds less substantial somehow.

I have no idea what specifically gives me this impression - maybe it's my uber-cheapskate nature telling me anything newer than 13 years old is a luxury item?

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
the interior in the 97+ XJs I've test-driven certainly looks more modern but feels/sounds less substantial somehow.

I have no idea what specifically gives me this impression - maybe it's my uber-cheapskate nature telling me anything newer than 13 years old is a luxury item?

No, this is true... Interior is cheap. When you pull the fascia off the center console stack you'll be somewhat shocked how cheap the plastic is... At least I was.

But, it's a Jeep so I don't care that much.

The newer Jeeps supposedly have better HVAC. Another plus... if you are the type to keep your AC for, you know, AC. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179