Better vehicle external cameras? What is good these days in the aftermarket?

Sid Post

Observer
First, yes I can back by mirrors, back trailers, etc. and realize cameras are no substitute for poor driving skills. Now with that out of the way ...

I am in a 2013 Tacoma with a long travel lift on 35" tires currently. From the rearview mirror I see a small spec of sky between a tire and fuel cans since this rig sits so high. I have a huge blind spot right in front of the hood as well that isn't generally a problem driving in urban areas but, solo offroad can be an issue at times.

I want a front mounted camera to clear obstacles and to know how far away I am from something close to me like a fire hydrant, boulder, another car, etc. Out the rear, I want to see what I am backing into or, if my trailer is still attached to my Tacoma, or perhaps if is throwing sparks or, it is spewing personal belongings along the road.

I think I want to replace the factory radio with one that will support two camera feeds to avoid adding more clutter to my dash.

What is good today and what should I avoid? Any lessons learned?

TIA,
Sid

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I don’t know that I can speak to your specific ask, but a while ago I went through a similar quest for my Jeep. One of the things I realized is that the technology has gotten so low-cost that buying multiple different camera and display sets and mixing/matching to get your final goal isn’t too bad. I think I ended up with 3 different kits from the same manufacturer on Amazon for less than $260. It has been life changing.

I want a front mounted camera to clear obstacles and to know how far away I am from something close to me like a fire hydrant, boulder, another car, etc. Out the rear, I want to see what I am backing into or, if my trailer is still attached to my Tacoma, or perhaps if is throwing sparks or, it is spewing personal belongings along the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior