Big Agnes Twin Butte Car Tarp

Jeepin_D

Damon Bungard
I had been looking for an alternative to a 'permanently' mounted awning, and the Big Agnes Twin Butte Car Tarp fit my purposes perfectly.

I wanted something that was:
1) Light
2) Not attached to the outside of the rack all the time. Northeastern trails can get tight, and the less to snag on trees, the better.
3) Easy to swap from side to side, or rear, of the vehicle
4) Easy to swap from vehicle to vehicle.
5) Offers good coverage, and has a bug room option.

Enter their car tarp, which only weighs a few pounds, packs into a tent stuff sack, is quickly set up and taken down, and is plenty big.

There's an optional bug room, and floor, if you want to camp in it. The wall on the vehicle side of the room unzips and pulls up like a curtain for access into the vehicle.

The vehicle side easily attaches to my Gobi rack. There is a pole on the vehicle side, and numerous clips on cordage spaced out along the pole. You simply wrap the cord around the pole and your rack, clip, and cinch.

When staked out, its very secure. I fully admit I took it down as a HUGE thunderstorm rolled in and I suspect it wouldn't have made it, but I don't think any awning would have.

One nice thing if you're basecamping is that you can unclip the vehicle side, stake it down like a lean-to, and go driving for the day.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• covering_picnic_table.jpg
    covering_picnic_table.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 212
  • Deerfield_2.jpg
    Deerfield_2.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Bug_room.jpg
    Bug_room.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Deerfield_fest_JK_booth.jpg
    Deerfield_fest_JK_booth.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 170

elbendido

Off topic, but that jeep looks familiar. The Jackson sticker. Vermont? Bring it into willie racine's?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Sock Puppet

Adventurer
Looks pretty good, but it's a bit pricey. I'll keep my eye out for a used one as I think it would work really well.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
That looks really nice (ditto on the comments about the guy lines)...but I think the netting is a great addition - perfect for bug protection and it looks like an easy setup too!

Jeepin_D

Damon Bungard
I like everything about it except all the guy lines.

Yeah, you don't have to use the guy lines, but definitely more stable if you do.

2 are attached to each corner. I've never attached the ones on the vehicle side. I always stake down at least one on the outer corners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger