Big Bend Weekend

preacherman

Explorer
This week I decided work sucks...ok I decided that a long time ago, I just had a reminder this week. So any who, I moved to West Texas 10 months ago and have not yet been to Big Bend since I moved here. (I used to go all the time in High school) So I took off Thursday and jumped down with the jeep for a quick weekend solo trip. I needed some quite time to clear my head.

I left Thursday morning and to my surprise it only took me 3 hours to get to BB from Midland. After checking in, dropping the top on the jeep, and looking over different options, I decided to take the river road over to the Mariscal mine and camp at the Fresno campsite (one of the more secluded sites I could find). I got there before dark and set up camp. I love the desert at night but this camp was QUITE! I realized just how “backcountry” I was. I could see over 20 miles in every direction and I could not find one sign of civilization. In the morning I got up early and watched the sun rise over the Serra Del Carmen just over the river. Around noon I went over to the mine to poke around and meet the first people I had seen since 10am the previous day. I talked with them for a while and decide to go to my next site just to the base of the Chisos Mts in Pine Canyon. I drove up the Black Gap road and stopped several time to take pictures and poke around.

The black gap road is really interesting. I have done harder trails but not by myself in such a remote location. I only saw two other 4x4’s all day. The majority of the trail is easy and tame but there are a few spots that make you think. I really would not want to be pulling a trailer by myself on this road. After the black gap I jumped over to the Glenn Spring road and then over to pine canyon road and my campsite at pine canyon. I spent my 2nd night at pine canyon just at the base of the Chisos.

After going to bed early I was shook awake at 5am by a violent one time wind gust. After looking outside I noticed something so I got dressed and went out of my tent. Above me was the most spectacular night time display of stars I have ever seen. The moon was gone and it was just me and 10 million stars. I set outside and watched the stars until sunrise at 7am. In two hours I counted almost 20 shooting stars and countless constellations. It was just what I needed to clear my head.

While backcountry solo trips are not for everyone, if you are prepared and comfortable with your skills, then I highly recommend one to clear the cobwebs so to say.

I will post pictures later to night. I gotta run.

maximumrob

Adventurer
preacherman said:
The moon was gone and it was just me and 10 million stars. I set outside and watched the stars until sunrise at 7am. In two hours I counted almost 20 shooting stars and countless constellations. It was just what I needed to clear my head.

Yeah, brother. I can't say enough about BBNP, either. I, like you however, find it's best to say nothing a simply look up at the sky.

It's been 12 months since my last Big Bend fix and I'm just about at the end of my rope.

Can't wait to see your pictures. What crittes did you see? Did you get snow in Pine Canyon? We hiked all the way to the falls one December. Left the campsite in heat and got to the falls and it snowed. Wonderful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior