Big Cypress Everglades National Forest

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
So I called down there today to get the newest info on wheeling down there. Up unitl a few years ago there was a substantil area that was open to wheeling. However as to be expected they closed it down. Now after reopening they have limited all use to one area know as Bear Island. There are a few trails and remote camp sites (permits needed).

Now the forest service has done something good but If they would have done this years ago we might still have our OHV area from before. only 2000 OHV permits a year are handed out. You need to show up on a Fri,sat,sun or mon betwenn 8:30 & 3 pm for a 45 minute class. Then your vehicle must pass "inspection" Working lights, proper tags/insurance, exhaust, and tires with a minimum of 9" wide tread patch for regular 4wd vehicles. Swamp buggies have much more space to go out into the preserve since that vehicle is more environmentaly friendy LOL!

Anyway after that an annual $50.00 back country permit can be acquired for access. This does cover equestrian, hiking, canoeing, and one ohv vehicle issued by vin.

I have no issue with the class, vehicle inspection, or $50.00 back country permit. My major issue is why the hell don't they try these things before eliminating access. All they have to do is make the penelty for being out there with out the right permites an automatic siesure of vehicle and after the first person gets busted and looses there atv or rig you will see people step to play by the rules. The only bad thing is the permit is not one year from date of issue nor is it pro rated. So if you bought it in october it would be good till jan 31 of the next year only 4 months. I think that is the only thing out of wack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan