Big Red Pig ???

UHAULER

Explorer
I'm considering getting a dual sport and one of the bikes on my short list is a xr650r with a plate. I'm getting kind of burned out riding only singletrack and would like a change.

Right now I have an 06 KTM 300xcw.

Some of the others on my list
KTM 450/525- I've owned an 05 525 mxc so it would be familiar
Beta 450/525- KTM reliability wrapped in a different chassis
Suzuki DRZ400 - Old reliable

A couple of concerns are reliability, overheating in the tight stuff and fuel milage. I don't really want to run a huge tank. Any xr650r guru's out there ? What are the weak links in these pigs ?

jl8088

Adventurer
First off, if you own a KTM300xcw, you have a superlative woods weapon and accustomed to some major 2-stroke power. If you want to get away from single track, what are you looking for as far as %dirt/%road?

The KTM/Beta bikes you mention (powerwise) are in the same league as the XRR, but the technology (autostart/valves/weight/suspension) are all vastly improved over the XRR. I've owned a plated XRR for over 2 years. It is pretty much a no maintence race bike that loves open terrain but can pretty much do any type of riding except major motorcross, but can be built to suit any one area better (highway/singletrack). Gas mileage is 40mpg at best and the stock tank is kind of small (3.2 and 4.2 gal options are available). I never boil over unless in 100 degree heat and first gear for 4 miles and really getting after it.

The DRZ400 is similar to the XRR (old & proven technology), but has less power and probably heavier. Finding a plated DRZ-S is easy, a plated XRR would be a little harder.

IMHO, the only issue with the XRR is the stock jetting. Good luck finding one with stock jetting anyway.

Hope that may help.

deminimis

Explorer
Can't beat the XXR for reliability. Rode the hell out of mine and it liked it. However, adding a fan is a good idea (I boiled over plenty in the slow stuff in the heat). Hell, adding a fan to anything that doesn't have one is a good idea in my opinion. Kick starting the pig with cracked ribs or a separated shoulder sucks. When I switched to KTM, I was never happier, and I loved my BRP (my 505 KTM is snappier, lighter, has the magic button, better handling, balance, but it ain't no DS). The Beta DS bikes, in my opinion, are not as good as their KTM counterparts. I like the looks, feel, fit and finish, but many complain about leaking shock seals and other Beta-specific components. KTM is not without its shortcomings too, but those can usually be overcome with aftermarket fixes.

Having owned or ridden a number of thumpers, if I was in the market, I'd be looking for a 450/530 EXC or a Husaberg. If you are dead set on the Pig, then the must-dos include a foot peg mod (I can't remember if right or left, but you'll figure it out), a Vapor computer, a fan and a bigger tank (I went with a Clarke 4.3 and it worked out perfectly). Stock seat kinda sucks, but don't they all. If planning on putting any weight out back, you may need to consider beefing up the sub frame. Rear axle/chain adjustment bolts tend to freeze on these, so drill, tap and install inserts if that happens. You've got to address the front forks (I guess by now the oil should have been changed out, but they came with "whale snot" in them from the factory. I left my stack alone, but went with a very light oil and the biggest Race Tech springs that I could get away with without a revalve and that greatly improved the front end). For the rear, I went with the largest Eibach spring I could get away with without a revalve. The setup worked well for me. Unfortunately, I can't remember those spring sizes, but you'll be able to figure it out from others' posts on the subject. Probably my favorite thing about the Pig was the set-it-and-forget-it valve adjustment. Those suckers always stayed in spec. However, even if you have to adjust the valves, its an old school screwdriver and feeler gauge kinda deal. Since Pigs are getting a bit long in the tooth these days, be prepared to replace the swingarm bearings (special tool) and rear shock linkage bearings. Oh, I also used a CR High Bend bar that helped a lot (the factory handle bar is a horrible size and shap, in my opinion). The stock stator is pretty weak, so an aftermarket stator is a good idea. My guess is if you find the one you like, there's a good chance much of this stuff will have been addressed.

Oh, yea, you've got to uncork it and jet accordingly (like mentioned above, pretty slim chance you'll find one without this procedure already in place).

Last edited:

Salmon

Caution about plated bikes

Just a word of caution: I see you're in CA, and the state is constantly proposing legislation to restrict the plating of originally unplated bikes. There workarounds and ways to get away with it (I've never tried, so I don't know what they are), but as of now you can't just go down to the DMV in CA and plate a bike like you used to be able to. Also, be aware that if you buy an XRR that was previously plated, when you try to register it you may find out that the previous owner used one of those "workarounds" and the DMV won't let you transfer the registration. I'm not saying you necessarily need to let this stop you, but just be aware so you make an informed decision.

chp-sk8

Adventurer
Burg

Take a look at the husabergs. I have a fe650, and it has tons of power, and is super light @ 245lbs. Not as maint freindly as the xrr. You can pick up a nice low hr 07, 08 for a fair price. I will have mine in the desert shortly after getting home. just my 2 cents.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I have a BRP and I love it to death, but if I were to start fresh and were looking for a Dual Sport I'd probably go Husq 610 or a KTM. Especially if you're coming off a 300. You can get a BRP to do some cool things but out of the box they need a lot of work pretty much everywhere. So the final cost is about that of a KTM or a Husq 610, and the weight on them is a little high on the bike, and no magic button. I stalled in traffic the other night and oops... This said I just lapped great Salt Lake (300 miles exactly in 5 hours) and it is a great all around bike and I'm enjoying building it and it will be one hell of a big bike that is lighter than most and it loves to go and go and go. Uncorked they are a great power to weight ratio and with a windshield they like to cruise even at 75 to 80 on the highway as a comfort zone with stock gearing. It is definitely a lot of performance for the bike and what they also seem to cost. For me I'm only $300 more to go or some and I'm done for the most part, at least with modding it and that includes the full package (suspension, electrical, etc). I'm considering it my "big bike" that is a little more capable than most big bikes or when it gets a little crappy (like if you have to drag it across a couple sets of rail road tracks or something like that). And then I'm also looking forward to a XCR 450 or even a 300 for a trail bike or something lighter, and maybe some day a ADV 950 or a 1150 GS for a bike my wife can ride on as well. These are all far down the line as somedays and if needed mostly because the BRP does do it all except for trail riding and you have it covered. Also the new seat makes a huge difference, for it was mod #1 along with my little windshield which makes all day rides doable and converts it from a dirtbike to a motorcycle more than anything else. Also, important is to keep in mind they get 35 mpg, so they guzzle... I'll be up to 8.3 gallons capacity with an IMS 7 gallon for super long range and I use the lighter 4.3 for most everything else. Thank alone adds another $250 in costs. So again just an FYI...

1206913848_gfjfh-L.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online