Biggest tires on stock suspension for '01-'04 Taco DC?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Winky said:
Quick thread hijack.

To those of you that went to 235/85s or 265/75s did you notice a loss in power with stock gearing? I drive an '02 DC TRD Taco, not sure about the gearing, and I hesitate to go bigger.

On my previous Rubicon when I went to 255s with an auto the gearing was absolutely unbearable on hilly roads and long trips. The 4sp auto had a high OD so I am curious to know if anything was noticable when going bigger on a Tacoma.

Josh

I went from 265/70R16 (stock tires) to 235/85R16s and have not noticed any difference in power. To be fair, though, I've mostly done city driving since I put the new tires on.

There is actually only about .8" difference between the two tires anyway, which works out to .4" difference in radius. I don't know how that works out in terms of circumference but I'm guessing it's not a lot. If I had an automatic maybe I'd notice (yet another strike against the auto) but with a 5 speed the difference in power is negligible, as is the difference in MPG.

7wt

Expedition Leader
I went from P metric 265/70's to LT 235/85's and I noticed just a tad of power loss. I don't notice it anymore though. I think it had to do with the weight of the 10 ply vs P metric tires more than the overall diameter. Just a thought.

DaveM

Explorer
I just want to double check on this issue since I'm going in tomorrow to switch tires. 265/75 R16s will not rub on a stock 2003 DC Tacoma?

Bergger

Explorer
Most likely they will not rub but it does depend on the type of tire. I went to a 265/75 R16 in a Firestone Destination MT and at full turn the drivers side rubbed the frame a little bit. Not a big deal though. It even rubbed with my lift so I think it had to do with the large side lugs more than anything. I now have 265/75 R16 Firestone Destination AT and no rubbing.

DaveM

Explorer
Bergger said:
Most likely they will not rub but it does depend on the type of tire. I went to a 265/75 R16 in a Firestone Destination MT and at full turn the drivers side rubbed the frame a little bit. Not a big deal though. It even rubbed with my lift so I think it had to do with the large side lugs more than anything. I now have 265/75 R16 Firestone Destination AT and no rubbing.

they'll be BFG AT/KOs.

JJackson

Explorer
I have 265-75-16 on a 04 extended cab, the only issue I have had is a little rubbing at full turn as mentioned above. Had those tires on since 04 so I can't remeber if I lost any power due to the change. I really think it would be a minimal loss.

7wt

Expedition Leader
DaveM said:
I just want to double check on this issue since I'm going in tomorrow to switch tires. 265/75 R16s will not rub on a stock 2003 DC Tacoma?
That should depend on how much your stock coils have sagged over the years. A guy I worked with had 265/75's on his stock Taco and they only slightly rubbed at full lock.

DaveM

Explorer
Got the tires done. Looks pretty good, I much prefer BFGs to the Yokohama's that were on there. It does rub when turn over ALL the way, probably a little more than I was hoping it would, but it shouldn't be a problem.

2324962236_1bf574b685_o.jpg

Last edited:

Winky

Adventurer
thread resurection.

Can anyone post front/rear/side pictures of Tacomas or 4Runners on 235/85R16?
Cheers,
Josh

jh504

Explorer
"Got the tires done. Looks pretty good, I much prefer BFGs to the Yokohama's that were on there. It does rub when turn over ALL the way, probably a little more than I was hoping it would, but it shouldn't be a problem"

That looks great, the BFGs were the right choice, I used to run 31x10.50 BFG ATs on my taco and they were great, no complaints.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Winky said:
Can anyone post front/rear/side pictures of Tacomas or 4Runners on 235/85R16?
Cheers,
Josh

Mine isn't a DC but I've been running 235/85R16s since December. Didn't have any rubbing problems while running pretty gnarly trails in Utah last month.

Newtires02.jpg

01_book_cliffs_near_green_river.jpg

Closeclearance.jpg

Newtires01.jpg

7wt

Expedition Leader
Winky said:
7wt do you have any suspension work done?

Thanks for the pictures guys.

Josh
Deavers and Donahoes but there would have been more than enough room had I not. The skinnier tire is less prone (it shouldn't at all) rub on the frame at full lock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle