Bike sizing and fit.

Sloan

Explorer
I have ridden bikes almost all my life and I have always struggled with getting everything just right. The other day i stumbled across a site that makes it a lot easier for mere mortals to get their bike fit on our own.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCM?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

I figured out why my back always hurt on my mountain bike, I have almost 2 inches to much space between the nose of my saddle and the bars. DOH!

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Be a little bit careful with the Competitive Cyclist fit sheets, in my experience they tend to fit a little too stretched out, particularly if you lack back flexibility. Peterwhitecycles.com has some good thoughts on fitting, but not a set of formulas like competitive cyclist or wrench science. All the calculators can help get you in the ball park, but don't think they are a substitute for a real professional fitting.

Sloan

Explorer
I should have stated that, I was using it to get in the ballpark for a new stem and seatpost on the Bullit. Thanks for mentioning the stretched out, a shorter stem will definitely open up more possibilities. I'll check out the site you mentioned. :D

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Dave hit the nail on the head. Fit calculators are rough, rough, rough guidelines. Wrench Science has a very popular fit calculator, but I still think it falls short...or long, depending on the measurements. To put it in perspective, even one on one professional fitting is likely to give inconsistant results. I've been a certified fitter with the New England Cycling Academy Fit kit since 1989. I'm a certified Serotta fitter and also with the FCC Cycling Academy in France. I could use all three systems on the same dude and probably come up with slightly different fit recommendations.

Also keep in mind that mountain bike fitting is waaaaay more forgiving than fitting a time trial bike or a road bike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior