bilstein5100 or OME 885?

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Tacollie: you might be right about that however I assure you that you can wear out your cv boots through rubbing fins with high lifts.

Jake: No, you can run stock struts or even the 5100's at the lowest level

tacollie

Glamper
Maxama10 I completly agree with you. I am just bad at putting my ideas into writing. Jake had mentioned he didn't want to have to replace cvs regularly and my point is with 885s he shouldn't need to, but sometimes driving styles affect that. 885's with no sway bar and hard cornering can cause the problems I stated earlier(at least it can in my experience which compared to the portal isn't much). Thats all I was trying to say. I also don't consider 3" a big lift. My brother used to race in a stock class on 1/4 mile dirt tracks. He had the same issue on a corolla with stock suspension. Turn hard and make the vehicle lean and the cv wants to pull itself out. I am rambling now so there is what I was trying to say and I hope that makes sense.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
tacollie said:
Maxama10 I completly agree with you. I am just bad at putting my ideas into writing. Jake had mentioned he didn't want to have to replace cvs regularly and my point is with 885s he shouldn't need to, but sometimes driving styles affect that. 885's with no sway bar and hard cornering can cause the problems I stated earlier(at least it can in my experience which compared to the portal isn't much). Thats all I was trying to say. I also don't consider 3" a big lift. My brother used to race in a stock class on 1/4 mile dirt tracks. He had the same issue on a corolla with stock suspension. Turn hard and make the vehicle lean and the cv wants to pull itself out. I am rambling now so there is what I was trying to say and I hope that makes sense.

Sorry, re-reading my post it kind of looks negative but I didn't mean it that way.

i did not mean to imply that if i stayed below 3" i wouldnt go threw boots. was just wonderign on average how often i would have to change them. thanks for the info.

any comments on lift height?

thanks
jake

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I have been running the OME 886 springs in the front of my 04 Runner for a few years now. I have a little over 50K on the truck, maybe about 30K of those with the OME lift.

No boot wear out problems yet. The only problem I had was minor leakage where the boot clamps to the axle. Tightened the clamps and has been fine since then.

I like the lift and the suspension's performance for my style of offroading. If you are into higher speed desert racing then some high travel suspension mods and high end shocks would be better but for normal back county four wheeling, the OME set up is great.

normal back woods off roading is exactly what i'm looking after. if i can have my truck perform well under these circumstances and sit level (maybe a little front high) i will be more than happy.

thanks
jake

4RunAmok

Explorer
The 1" differential drop kit, which eases the tension on the boots, is cheap.

IN FACT, negligible compared to what it cost me for two new half axles.

Ripped them open, both sides, on Gold Mountain in Big Bear, CA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman