Bison Slide in Camper Build

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hi all, since our current expedition truck is now in South America and will be outside of the USA for the foreseeable future we decided to get a second smaller camper for our visits back home. Never thought we would build out a second camper but after looking at our options we decided that we really like composite campers. Although a bit challenging we also needed a truck for this camper and over text and emails have purchased a 2022 Ford F350 crew cab long bed (yeah, buying something like this in the USA while sitting in Chile has it challenges). Luckily I had my cousin who is a mechanic give it a once over and test drive and he gave it a thumbs up. I know it's long and not the best for off road but we wanted the space and we now know how we travel after being on the road in our Mercedes 1120AF for the last 4+ years.

We have a mid June delivery for a 8' slide in Bison Camper shell. It'll be very basic when delivered and over time we'll build it out. But one of the first things I would like to do is get some sort of basic electrical system installed. I really want some high current alternator charging (using a DC to DC charger) but I am curious what people are using for plugs to get the power into the camper. I know about the Anderson plugs but I have been unable to find a decent looking waterproof wall plug. Anyone have a good solution for this? I will likely run at least 50 amps worth of DC to DC charging (the truck has the 240amp alternator).

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Well I ended up settling on some 50 am Anderson plugs. I found these 3D printed covers on eBay for them. Plan is to mount one on the side of the footwell of the slide in camper and one on the truck bed. Then a jumper cabler between the 2.

s-l200.jpg

Although we have yet laid our eyes on our new to us truck, here's a photo from the dealer. It pretty much had each option I would have chosen if buying new, with only a couple minor misses and some extras. It's a 6.2 gas with the 10 speed. Really hoping it proves to be reliable.
4d4cfe02195620a200b37c3c59718fdc.jpg

And Drew at @Bison Overland Campers has started our design! Probably won't take too much time as we're going pretty basic, but this will be their first long bed slide in (guess most of his customers prefer a more agile truck). We're going a bit taller, wider and longer than standard. We're also hoping that we can get some composite panels a few of the interior walls. We did this in our current Total Composites habitat and really like the finished look it gives the interior. Rough interior plan will include a wet bath with a slide out composite toilet, stove/oven, wall mounted fridge, lifepo4 batteries, 4-600 watts of solar and right around 50 gallons of fresh water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12