2022 F350 with a Bison Slide in Camper Build

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hi all, since our current expedition truck is now in South America and will be outside of the USA for the foreseeable future we decided to get a second smaller camper for our visits back home. Never thought we would build out a second camper but after looking at our options we decided that we really like composite campers. Although a bit challenging we also needed a truck for this camper and over text and emails have purchased a 2022 Ford F350 crew cab long bed (yeah, buying something like this in the USA while sitting in Chile has it challenges). Luckily I had my cousin who is a mechanic give it a once over and test drive and he gave it a thumbs up. I know it's long and not the best for off road but we wanted the space and we now know how we travel after being on the road in our Mercedes 1120AF for the last 4+ years.

We have a mid June delivery for a 8' slide in Bison Camper shell. It'll be very basic when delivered and over time we'll build it out. But one of the first things I would like to do is get some sort of basic electrical system installed. I really want some high current alternator charging (using a DC to DC charger) but I am curious what people are using for plugs to get the power into the camper. I know about the Anderson plugs but I have been unable to find a decent looking waterproof wall plug. Anyone have a good solution for this? I will likely run at least 50 amps worth of DC to DC charging (the truck has the 240amp alternator).

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Well I ended up settling on some 50 am Anderson plugs. I found these 3D printed covers on eBay for them. Plan is to mount one on the side of the footwell of the slide in camper and one on the truck bed. Then a jumper cabler between the 2.

s-l200.jpg

Although we have yet laid our eyes on our new to us truck, here's a photo from the dealer. It pretty much had each option I would have chosen if buying new, with only a couple minor misses and some extras. It's a 6.2 gas with the 10 speed. Really hoping it proves to be reliable.
4d4cfe02195620a200b37c3c59718fdc.jpg

And Drew at @Bison Overland Campers has started our design! Probably won't take too much time as we're going pretty basic, but this will be their first long bed slide in (guess most of his customers prefer a more agile truck). We're going a bit taller, wider and longer than standard. We're also hoping that we can get some composite panels a few of the interior walls. We did this in our current Total Composites habitat and really like the finished look it gives the interior. Rough interior plan will include a wet bath with a slide out composite toilet, stove/oven, wall mounted fridge, lifepo4 batteries, 4-600 watts of solar and right around 50 gallons of fresh water.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Well quick update. Our new to us F350 was delivered to my mother's house in Florida. She reports that all looked good and one of her neighbors who is familiar with trucks says it looks good. Good to know it is there and waiting for us for when we arrive back to the USA.

But even more exciting the design of the @Bison Overland Campers shell is finalized! There will be windows, but due to budget (and placement once we get our eyes on the shell) we're trying to time things out a bit (Bison would sell/install them if we wanted). We did have Drew at Bison cut in a hole in the bed area for a size 60 Lewmar marine hatch. We also got the optional roller screen and shade for the hatch. So far my design will have 5 windows in it. One in the bed area, 3 larger ones in the main area and one in the wet bath (back wall). I've ordered a couple of extra composite panels to build out the major walls, mainly for the shower/toilet room in the back (why the door is offset). I did this with our current composite habitat and really liked how it looks and the added strength it gives the walls/roof.

BSN_351.A.0008_99SLD-Turgeon_RIGHT.png
BSN_351.A.0008_99SLD-Turgeon_BACK.png
I've also been working on collecting some of the needed gear, mainly the electrical components but also some of the larger propane things. This camper will have a 3 burner oven, propane instant hot water heater, LifePO4 400ah battery bank, 400-600watts solar, shower, urine diverting toilet, 2000watt inverter/charger, DC-DC charger, solid surface counter tops, MaxxFan, diesel air heat. I'll be honest, after our first build I never wanted to build a second one. But we've come to the conclusion that we really like composite shelled campers and all the benefits they offer. And since we can't afford a completely built out one, DIY is it. I have to say, we're getting pretty excited to meet up with Drew in June and have him slide in our new Bison Overland camper!

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Well, the "Build from a Distance" is progressing. @Bison Overland Campers has let us know the extrusions have been cut and the panel design is with the panel manufacturer. And our window placement and order has been finalized. I'm actively watching for any sales on the gear we will be needing to start the build. So here's my question.

I've installed 2 different diesel heaters in the past. But our current Webasto hydronic unit is mounted in a steel under storage box. This new air diesel heater will need to be installed inside our composite shell. Has anyone come up with an elegant way to install one of these, especially the exhaust? Wondering if I wrap the silencer with exhaust wrap if that would be good enough to protect the cabinet from heat or do people always install the silencer outside of the shell? Probably safer that way.

NOPEC

Well, the "Build from a Distance" is progressing. @Bison Overland Campers has let us know the extrusions have been cut and the panel design is with the panel manufacturer. And our window placement and order has been finalized. I'm actively watching for any sales on the gear we will be needing to start the build. So here's my question.

I've installed 2 different diesel heaters in the past. But our current Webasto hydronic unit is mounted in a steel under storage box. This new air diesel heater will need to be installed inside our composite shell. Has anyone come up with an elegant way to install one of these, especially the exhaust? Wondering if I wrap the silencer with exhaust wrap if that would be good enough to protect the cabinet from heat or do people always install the silencer outside of the shell? Probably safer that way.
VerMonsterRV
I recently put a flexible SS exhaust pipe through a composite panel, albeit with lower exhaust gas temps from propane. For part of my insulation "sandwich" I used a mounded re-enforced silicone engine turbo flange. They are available in a variety of configurations and diameters. They are very flexible and I wonder if one of these of the appropriate diameter might just slip over the silencer?

vpe-2700_xl.jpg

Last edited:

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
VerMonsterRV
I recently put a flexible SS exhaust pipe through a composite panel, albeit with lower exhaust gas temps from propane. For part of my insulation "sandwich" I used a mounded re-enforced silicone engine turbo flange. They are available in a variety of configurations and diameters. They are very flexible and I wonder if one of these of the appropriate diameter might just slip over the silencer?

View attachment 835121
I think that might work. There's cylindrical silencers available, if I sleeved it over some exhaust wrap it might work well. Thanks for the idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman