Body Alignment after an Accident

millerfish

Adventurer
I have a 2014 Tacoma DCSB and was in a rear end accident. It looks like the impact was to the hitch and bumper only. From what I can see the bumper did not get into the bed sides. The bumper is definitely tweaked pretty good and more so on the driver side. What I would like to do is just remove the bumper and hitch buy an aftermarket bumper (CBI maybe) with the insurance money and be done. However it looks like there could be more damage than I can see. When I look at the gap between the bed and cab the driver side is slightly closed to the cab than the other side. I am talking 1/8 to 3/16 at most difference. The truck drives fine I don't notice any misalignment or dog-tracking. Do you think that the came that way? Or should I be concerned with possible structural issues with the frame?

image (1).jpg

FullTankHank

Adventurer
You can get your frame checked out at any reputable body shop, but with that minor of a gap difference between the body and bed, it is more likely that the bed is just misaligned.

Same thing happened to me in my tundra last year, and the frame was in perfect shape after. Plus I was hit buy a much larger car (an s550).

But still get it checked for the off chance it is bent.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Def get the frame and alignment checked. Even if you don't fix it, you need to be compensated for it. I bought an aftermarket bumper and hitch 2 years ago when I got rear ended not unlike you did there. My tailgate has a crease in the sheetmetal and the tail light was broken on my truck. I fixed it all myself and pocketed 600+ dollars. I almost bought a rear bumper but decided just to go with a replacement "stock" style for 200 bucks.

Hope everyone was ok.

-jorge

millerfish

Adventurer
So I took it to a local shop for a quote. This place is kinda high end lots off big $ German stuff in the shop. The estimator was certain that it would have frame issues. I kinda questioned him on it so they had the boss man look at it he said he was 90% sure bent frame.

The good part is that all the parts I don't need add up to the same as the cost of a CBI with swing out, jerry can holder and camp table. And they are ok with doing that in place of the factory parts.

The bad having frame repair will go on the car fax. I'm guessing the truck with 3K miles on it will take a loss in resale value of $4K or more.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman