Bohemia Mountain, Oregon

Yesterday, Saturday the 12, Jenn and I headed back to Bohemia Mountain for the entire day. We started the day by heading south on I-5 to Cottage Grove. From Cottage Grove we followed signs to the Cottage Grove Covered Bridge Tour until we reached Row River Road which skirts Dorena Lake for several miles.

IMG_8151-2.gif

We followed Row River Road for about 20 miles until we reach Champion Creek Road which requires a high clearance vehicle in certain parts. As the road increases in elevation we passed several water falls and a few old mine openings. Since we passed these things last week we pushed on

IMG_8029-1.jpg

One thing that turned out to be a pain in the butt was the lighting. The woods were deep and dark, but with a cloudless sky and a bright noon day sun taking quick snapshots was a task to get even some what right.
IMG_8162-2.gif

Jenn on top of an old bridge.
IMG_8166-2.gif

There are a lot of nice wild flowers along the way.
IMG_8183-2.gif

IMG_8184-2.gif

From here we came across the Noonday trail. The trail is maintain by the Junction City Jeepers, but it appears they have not been there in a while. Most of the trail was so tight there was no way for us to open the doors or even the windows to climb out. The deeper into the trail we got the more we realized we needed to find a way out. Its looks like a lot of people have been through with saws, but not much was cleaned up.
IMG_8189-2.gif

We found a "clearing" and stopped to check our maps. A few feet ahead were a few obstacles that were a struggle to get over. Before we went through it, I ran ahead to see if the trail opened up a little. I luckily found that the trail met up with the dirt road again and we decided not to chance the trail anymore.
IMG_8193-2.gif

By this time it was getting a little late and we wanted to get home for dinner. There is so much more to see from what we could tell by the maps, but we were having a hard time finding them. We decided to make one more stop at Fairview Peak.

This provided some spectacular views. You can even see the rim of Crater Lake in this pic.
IMG_8200-2.gif

IMG_8225-1.gif

Last edited:
IMG_8204-1.gif

IMG_8216-1.gif

IMG_8227-1.gif

We had a good time, dealt with a few drunk jerks on the road and some really nice people, but the place is relatively unknown so we were alone most of the time. This area could make a great weekend trip since the camps sites in the area are right on the river. There is so much to see that we did not have time for or could not find. There are many old mine shafts, large mine facilities, rock formations, OHV trails, etc.

This area is part of the Umpqua National Forest.

Last edited:
Paul R said:
Looks like a great trip cool photos!
I love how green it is :clapsmile

It was a fun trip.

Since we only have a few weekends before the move we are trying to see one new place a each weekend.

Next weekend will probably be some ghost town west of Salem, then the weekend after that will be Seattle for a concert then we will hit up Mount St Helen's on the way back. After that it will only be two weekend before the week of the move.

We love Oregon for the most part. Had we known what the Willamette Valley was like we would have moved to another part of Oregon such as the coast, Astoria, or some place around Mt. Hood. This state is very beautiful and I think we regret waiting a year before exploring it to the exent we are now.

Some day we will pass through again and see the stuff we miss. I wish we could have gotten out to the Steens Mountain area.

Last edited:
Streakerfreak said:
Some day we will pass through again and see the stuff we miss. I wish we could have gotten out to the Steens Mountain area.

You would love the Steens. I was there 2 years ago and would love to go back. A bit of a drive from my house though. Didn't get to explore as much as I'd hope to.
Good luck,
:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12