Bought a 2018 LX570

skrypj

I have been hunting for a vehicle for a while that was smaller than my F150 for the trails, but more capable towing than my GX460. I poked around Gladiator Ecodiesels and the new Colorado ZR2, but everything seemed like a fairly large compromise. The Gladiator was great when I test drove it, and I was really close to buying one, but it has overheating issues and I had already dealt with that on my F150. The ZR2 just was disappointing to me when I test drove it and was really cramped inside. There really just isnt much else out there smaller than a half ton that can also tow and offroad decently.

I had been watching Land Cruiser prices for a long time, and it made me puke in my mouth a little. But I decided to look at LX570's since it seemed they could be had for a good 30% less in some cases. So I finally decided to pull the trigger on a 2018 with 50k miles.

AP1GczNzDab2K1gUfM9rqOBN1FRFkkqlQ4UbubuzHGR0V94BDPmIfCdS0cLeXlrlm_oVBILMAKSkR2GUlFthL1SE5iDlX5emZKPpRRIgPZCg-7wEhHxN_3GMugNlUitnp6MLuSTYMvS7-jJ9KgQg12Md0RPULX-klNZfGLm0UVHwi7TIG7LPqnnSohK6j1iTjM27l6-oBrzFmDhytoHN4LfFeuz2SvIEODddjDeX5Ucjvai7IJIt9xt7EFr-KfBBOMbwv04mwWEhxM8PnF3GhAeuD7YG4CkapInIhEelPoX9TzhHdCP7HElsYyZEt1KUxcYu33bpjasM-liP5y9i43d5-WiCBsb7HSJRotgrNCHnQTtyYfYOACimmmWgBkmxw1XOWqZFHFQ5ASukMPxjD8xseDCKkzsbZxnqW2Mh2xltkVURFByDlrO_kcOV63T7GtryXjOePPpIi0aXkbCPuAofkEq5-yvJXjozAIGro6b3i8i0nSu5cFe665FCs49ZZVp9o9FzcF1ZB6F1BLK2sVhS9k0q97m7qnHb3vfrByZfvoMFxdjbgeKOvpmmwOQTW0MQ-nuAGPqNoKHbO6NYYezpd-ixRXcLvBGEi6s9D7KIcYpoZtGqWhoD2pbAaCdr1jLaPIsyicEJhEOThAXHA2H2Z7_mY3EuXue2r4AKCqLQDI75AfLSNdFTHm4jO5ip5EH0ktE0tGBlnmxy19bEe0MgHgMRCup3RWjiSjvTibGbEAdvL1mSK5NdHfszNYGQUzyN09_sqXi2mR6krPMouX1mgyG2yMBBkxNTAgZMAXKtHN4qcMykG17RYID8duf9MVaK20VMuB774hNn7aIK76AJOL-GTiNFe2PyFwwQVTO-ZBOU0ua8yk8YQzrgJpSTSCriHKB5zePT103a9bGmeh6KpHiJgmwe=w1691-h1268-s-no

1708965778706.jpeg

I towed 950 miles with it this last week from Park City, UT down to two different state parks in NV and back. It did really well. I had to fight some 20-30 mph headwinds and lots of elevation changes. The 5.7L pull really well, stronger than I expected coming from my GX460. The biggest issue is the fuel tank size at 24.5 gallons. There was a few stretches where I was running on fumes because I was getting 7.5 mpg with the headwinds, so my range was limited to around 150 miles.

So my plan is to do a few immediate mods:

1. Long Range America 12.5 gallon aux tank. I would like to keep the spare under the truck so I dont want to go with one of their larger tanks.
2. CBI Covert front bumper to get rid of horrible approach angle. I already had whacked the front bumper on my 2011 GX460 with a 2" lift and 33's, which had a much approach angle to begin with.
3. 17" wheels with 34 or 35's. I really would love to get some Rock Warrior wheels to keep the offset close to stock but they are hard to come by and the ones I do find are pretty beat.

Down the road I think I would like to do a Tundra swap on the front end, which is kinda why I want the Rock Warriors since it will push the wheels out 1.5".

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Nice rig, congrats on finding it. I always liked the LX over the GX. Just classier in every way and the demand for them isnt there compared to the GX. I went down the GX/LX road before I bought my truck. It's crazy the prices for aftermarket parts. 2k+ for a little bit of metal for the front bumper?? Seemed crazy to me. I still like them tho lol.

skrypj

Nice rig, congrats on finding it. I always liked the LX over the GX. Just classier in every way and the demand for them isnt there compared to the GX. I went down the GX/LX road before I bought my truck. It's crazy the prices for aftermarket parts. 2k+ for a little bit of metal for the front bumper?? Seemed crazy to me. I still like them tho lol.

Imho, everything about the LX is nicer than the GX unless the width is really a concern. The 5.7L is MUCH stouter than the 4.6L and the 8 speed is tuned infinitely better tuned than the GX's 6 speed. I even had a Yotaworks tune on my GX and it still sucked in comparison.

I really liked my F150 but it was just too big. Also, even though LX bumpers are pricey, the options for an F150 Ecoboost front bumper that doesn't stick out 3 miles are almost non-existent. Same with rock sliders. There was NOTHING available for my 2014 and I was constantly having issues with breakover on trails even with a lever and 35's. But you are right, the prices are ridiculous for the GX/LX although I would say they are actually pretty similar in price to each other which is suprising considering the difference in the price of the vehicles and the low volumes of the LX/LC 200

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Nice, but have owned F-150s for over 25 years, never had an over heating issue, that's hard to imagine with that small camper.

Next, I've never been anywhere where my F 150 was too big, it always fit where I drove it.

skrypj

Nice, but have owned F-150s for over 25 years, never had an over heating issue, that's hard to imagine with that small camper.

Next, I've never been anywhere where my F 150 was too big, it always fit where I drove it.

Some light reading on F150 overheating issues since you're so skeptical:

I know of 3-4 people here in Utah who have had anything from 2012 to 2019's with the max tow package and have experienced bad overheating issues. Most of them dont own them anymore.

some screen shots of two more recent tows:

Temp gauge on my truck moves at 231 and is almost maxed at 240. At 248 or so, it goes into limp mode. Been there, done that more than once. BTW, both of these tows were with a brand new engine, water pump, thermostat, and with and without a mishimoto radiator upgrade. this was a new engine after having fought the cooling issues with the original motor of a good 5-6 years.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Some light reading on F150 overheating issues since you're so skeptical:

I know of 3-4 people here in Utah who have had anything from 2012 to 2019's with the max tow package and have experienced bad overheating issues. Most of them dont own them anymore.
So, that's the issue, I never had the Ecoboost, I've always had the V8, 5.0!

Some may like the 6 bangers but I don't think it belongs in a truck, apparently I'm right, get a real truck, a V8, otherwise a larger diesel.

So skeptical? Nah, just questioning the broad statement implying all F-150's have a towing problem, because they all don't.

Good luck with your SUV as your tow vehicle. :)

skrypj

So, that's the issue, I never had the Ecoboost, I've always had the V8, 5.0!

Some may like the 6 bangers but I don't think it belongs in a truck, apparently I'm right, get a real truck, a V8, otherwise a larger diesel.

So skeptical? Nah, just questioning the broad statement implying all F-150's have a towing problem, because they all don't.

Good luck with your SUV as your tow vehicle. :)

When did I broadly claim F150's had overheating issues? In fact, I think I specifically said "my F150".

And I dont think YOU belong in my thread just like you don't think Ecoboosts don't belong in trucks. Please leave my thread and delete your posts as you are derailing its intended purpose because you're butt hurt about F150's

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
I have been hunting for a vehicle for a while that was smaller than my F150 for the trails, but more capable towing than my GX460. I poked around Gladiator Ecodiesels and the new Colorado ZR2, but everything seemed like a fairly large compromise. The Gladiator was great when I test drove it, and I was really close to buying one, but it has overheating issues and I had already dealt with that on my F150. The ZR2 just was disappointing to me when I test drove it and was really cramped inside. There really just isnt much else out there smaller than a half ton that can also tow and offroad decently.

I had been watching Land Cruiser prices for a long time, and it made me puke in my mouth a little. But I decided to look at LX570's since it seemed they could be had for a good 30% less in some cases. So I finally decided to pull the trigger on a 2018 with 50k miles.

AP1GczNzDab2K1gUfM9rqOBN1FRFkkqlQ4UbubuzHGR0V94BDPmIfCdS0cLeXlrlm_oVBILMAKSkR2GUlFthL1SE5iDlX5emZKPpRRIgPZCg-7wEhHxN_3GMugNlUitnp6MLuSTYMvS7-jJ9KgQg12Md0RPULX-klNZfGLm0UVHwi7TIG7LPqnnSohK6j1iTjM27l6-oBrzFmDhytoHN4LfFeuz2SvIEODddjDeX5Ucjvai7IJIt9xt7EFr-KfBBOMbwv04mwWEhxM8PnF3GhAeuD7YG4CkapInIhEelPoX9TzhHdCP7HElsYyZEt1KUxcYu33bpjasM-liP5y9i43d5-WiCBsb7HSJRotgrNCHnQTtyYfYOACimmmWgBkmxw1XOWqZFHFQ5ASukMPxjD8xseDCKkzsbZxnqW2Mh2xltkVURFByDlrO_kcOV63T7GtryXjOePPpIi0aXkbCPuAofkEq5-yvJXjozAIGro6b3i8i0nSu5cFe665FCs49ZZVp9o9FzcF1ZB6F1BLK2sVhS9k0q97m7qnHb3vfrByZfvoMFxdjbgeKOvpmmwOQTW0MQ-nuAGPqNoKHbO6NYYezpd-ixRXcLvBGEi6s9D7KIcYpoZtGqWhoD2pbAaCdr1jLaPIsyicEJhEOThAXHA2H2Z7_mY3EuXue2r4AKCqLQDI75AfLSNdFTHm4jO5ip5EH0ktE0tGBlnmxy19bEe0MgHgMRCup3RWjiSjvTibGbEAdvL1mSK5NdHfszNYGQUzyN09_sqXi2mR6krPMouX1mgyG2yMBBkxNTAgZMAXKtHN4qcMykG17RYID8duf9MVaK20VMuB774hNn7aIK76AJOL-GTiNFe2PyFwwQVTO-ZBOU0ua8yk8YQzrgJpSTSCriHKB5zePT103a9bGmeh6KpHiJgmwe=w1691-h1268-s-no

View attachment 821661

I towed 950 miles with it this last week from Park City, UT down to two different state parks in NV and back. It did really well. I had to fight some 20-30 mph headwinds and lots of elevation changes. The 5.7L pull really well, stronger than I expected coming from my GX460. The biggest issue is the fuel tank size at 24.5 gallons. There was a few stretches where I was running on fumes because I was getting 7.5 mpg with the headwinds, so my range was limited to around 150 miles.

So my plan is to do a few immediate mods:

1. Long Range America 12.5 gallon aux tank. I would like to keep the spare under the truck so I dont want to go with one of their larger tanks.
2. CBI Covert front bumper to get rid of horrible approach angle. I already had whacked the front bumper on my 2011 GX460 with a 2" lift and 33's, which had a much approach angle to begin with.
3. 17" wheels with 34 or 35's. I really would love to get some Rock Warrior wheels to keep the offset close to stock but they are hard to come by and the ones I do find are pretty beat.

Down the road I think I would like to do a Tundra swap on the front end, which is kinda why I want the Rock Warriors since it will push the wheels out 1.5".
Cool rig!! How much does that trailer weigh fully prepped for travel, 4-5k?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
When did I broadly claim F150's had overheating issues? In fact, I think I specifically said "my F150".

And I dont think YOU belong in my thread just like you don't think Ecoboosts don't belong in trucks. Please leave my thread and delete your posts as you are derailing its intended purpose because you're butt hurt about F150's

OK. I guess the purpose of your thread is to pump you up over your used dressed up Toyota........now look who's all butt hurt......enjoy.

ITTOG

Add me to the list of over heating issues. I have a 2018 3.5L. Mine even overheats when not towing and in the winter. It is crazy. I do have the max tow package and it doesn't seem to help.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Add me to the list of over heating issues. I have a 2018 3.5L. Mine even overheats when not towing and in the winter. It is crazy. I do have the max tow package and it doesn't seem to help.
Sorry to hear you have the same issues of overheating with the V6. There is a lot of praise about that Ecoboost in the F-150, but since I never had a V6, I've been in the dark.

Now, I bid you farewell, unless someone invites further discussion from me in this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior