Bought A New Toy - Help With Question Please

RedDog

Explorer
After progressing up to a fairly decent hybrid three or four years ago that I've nearly worn out, I finally decided to take the leap to a serious ride and have treated myself big time.

I bought a Santa Cruz Superlight with R XC kit based upon the advise from a neighbour with several of their bikes who let me sample the fleet.

Here's what I need help with: I actually go down to Calgary this Saturday to pick up the built bike and I'm honestly wondering if the darned thing will fit in my Jeep TJ with back seat removed. Obviously at least the front wheel has to come off, but gee whiz there's not much room back there. My hydrid is gone; the neighbour is out of town all week and I don't have ready access to another such bicycle.

Generally speaking, will a large sized unit fit in a Jeep TJ without damaging either? I'd be very grateful for any experience from other Jeepers.

Thanks

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I haven't owned a Jeep in a few years, but when I did I hauled a lot of bikes. There's lots of ways to skin that cat. The easiest is to just plunk down for a hitch rack. I'm not wild about many of the spare tire racks. I also did the fork mounts on the roll bar routine, but that only works for top off applications. If you have a hard top you can go roof rack, but that's not so ideal eather for a variety of reasons.

If you take off both wheels it wil fit with little fuss.

RedDog

Explorer
Thanks Flounder. I might have been more clear. The TJ currently still has the hardtop on with the spring we've been having. The rear seat was removed when the Jeep was a week old and has never been put back in. I don't have a hitch but will investigate one for potential future bike hauling. My situation at hand is simply to get the thing home a one time 90 mile run. Once here I can ponder future transport choices but I have to get it home first.

Thanks.

By the way, here's the new Santa Cruz, even in Gangreen (every bicycle I've ever owned since a Sears coaster with racy basket at our lake cottage has been green). I've specified different tires though but otherwise this is it.

GreenDog.jpg

Last edited:

fisher205

Explorer
You shouldn't have a problem. Just pull the wheels and throw it in the back. I have fork mounts on the back fender of my CJ and the bike almost fits X ways w/ the rear wheel on. AND throw some blankets down to protect that beautiful paint. This should get you home and then you can determine a better solution.

RedDog

Explorer
Thanks for that. In the end a colleague offered to drive her Honda Civic down to Calgary on an errand of her own and we knew her bike fit in her Honda with the seat folded down so thats what happened.

I'm now officially on the prowl for a spare tire mount bike rack for the TJ with a 31" Trxus M/T hanging there.

Some shots of my new Santa Cruz bicycle in the park along trails a couple blocks from my house. :D

DSCN0494.jpg

DSCN0491.jpg

DSCN0490.jpg

DSCN0492.jpg

BPMOU

Observer
Enjoy that Santa Cruz. I sold my heckler three years ago, and am looking for something new. I have been thinking about the new heckler, but am really interested in the Yeti 575 as Yeti is local to me. Enjoy!

RedDog

Explorer
Thanks very much. Yesterday I had a Draw-Tite hitch installed on the Jeep with 2" receiver and a Sport Rack 2EZ carrier. Slick but expensive. At least I'm set now.

The Santa Cruz itself is a dream come true. What a magnificent piece of engineering. I was buzzing around last night until sunset.

Bad Voodoo

Unassuming Superhero
Yep, the SL sure is a great looking bike - LOVE the color! Now all you need to do is throw a "lefty" shock on that front end and it would be perfect! ;)

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have a Santa Cruz Blur and to carry it on the jeep I use the Mopar rack that fits on the spare tire. It has worked perfectly so far.

RedDog

Explorer
Beowulf said:
I have a Santa Cruz Blur and to carry it on the jeep I use the Mopar rack that fits on the spare tire. It has worked perfectly so far.

Yes I inquired about that unit and couldn't get a straight answer on compatibility with an oversized Trxus M/T. Indeed, their own website excludes it's application to the Rubicon model for example and Jeep World specifies "stock" tire.

Either way, I've got a frame mounted hitch now and that allows for continued thoughts of some form of tent trailer.

Thanks.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Interesting. My brother and I both run the Mopar rack. He used to have 285MTRs on the stock Rubicon moab rims and I have it on AEV rims with 255s. Works just fine. So if you ever need to change you are in the clear. I guess if you have back spacing under 4.5 inches and super wide tires on 8" rims it might not fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior