Brake Upgrade? Place to get programmer? For Hummer H3?

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Does anyone have suggestions for a brake upgrade? Most of the time the breaks are just 'ok' The wife has had them checked twice at the dealer because I swear I heard/feel some slight grinding. If I tear it apart I am just doing the brakes and would like to upgrade them at the same time. Pulling the trailer on our vacation just left me wanting a little more. 90% of the time it was great.

This thing gets wheeled once in awhile, and also tows an expedition trailer that probably weighs 1500+ lbs.

I am also thinking of a programmer, where is the best place to get one? I have never ran one on my vehicles. I am looking at the Hypertech, anything I need to know before hand?

534300_10151382664203294_2114026396_n.jpg

557523_10151384430078294_1320660861_n.jpg

FellowTraveler

Explorer
If I remember OBD-2 correctly there should be an ABS calibration feature in device controller that can be used to increase clamping force at calipers.

NAPA has some real good pads that work much better than GM's pads IMHO.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
What is the mileage on your H3? The grinding you are hearing (if no other issue) is most likely from the crap brake pads that GM installs at the factory.

I don't have and H3 but I do have a2006 silverado 1/2 ton

I tried to get the front pads/rotors replaced at the dealer under warranty @ 17k miles and they told me that the metallic squealing and scored rotors were "normal". I told the service manager that I specifically bought a new chevy truck so I didn't have to hear squaks and grinding anymore!:Wow1: I left it alone and now the truck has 65K miles and the rotors are still visually scored, but the noise is gone. Guess GM wants to upsell a rotor replacement with fresh pads

My front rotors are visually scored, it has ~65k on it right now. I figured I would upgrade pads and rotors on the front at the least. I have owned many GM products, and this is the only one the brakes felt as squishy as they do.

John G

brake upgrade

I've been extremely happy with EBC 3gd-sport rotors and EBC yellowstuff pads compared to my factory brakes on my 1500HD. A little pricy but I would consider this my best upgrade so far.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Bump for some more recommendations? I took the wheels off and the pads did look good so it may just be crappy pads, but man sometimes it just feels like it doesn't want to stop.

I just did tires this weekend, I think I may do the pads this weekend and see what happens. Buying tires nailed me good when I wasn't planning on them. I had a blowout on the Dan Ryan (downtown Chicago expressway) over the weekend. All the tires were the originals and still over 50% tread, but upon close inspection had an abnormal amount of dryrot for their age.

New kicks...

305674_10151518449673294_1814036784_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12