Bridge Camera for Film & Photo

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I currently have a Canon PowerShot SX30 IS. It's been a good camera, not spectacular, but given it's versatility, I've become a big fan of the form factor of a super-zoom bridge. It's a do all camera I can have at arms reach all day and not fuss with.

Biggest reason I need to upgrade, is the SX30 only films 720p video, I want all my cameras on 1080p now. And I'll be using it as much for video as stills. I was a bit shocked a while back when a friends off brand smartphone totally blew my Canon's video away. Also some better quality still photos would be nice, several years tech surely has improved overall.

The reason I ask here is I'll be using it for what we do. Hopping in and out of a vehicle, filming and taking vehicle photos, landscapes, like most of us here do when we travel. If I get a chance I sometimes play with manual settings, so both auto and manual is nice.

I'm torn between these 2 models:

Canon PowerShot SX540 HS (20.3MP, but no flip out screen, claims good low light, no reviews.)

Canon PowerShot SX60 HS (16.1MP, has flip out screen, accusations of poor low light.)

The flip out screen vs. CMOS sensor is what has me. Those 2 cameras have the same CMOS sensor I believe, Canon just stifles it on one with software to keep bridge cameras from rivaling their DSLR line. Or at least that is what I gather.

But, I've found that articulating screen gives me some more creative angles, I can hold the camera at waist level or kneel down and film at ground level comfortably and still see the screen, makes for cooler shots, same with up high, I can hold it over my head and see. This mostly comes in handy for filming video, which is what I want the camera for at least 50% of the time.

One downside, is the zoom mechanism on these things is very disruptive to video once it wears a bit. My SX30 chatters pretty bad, and it always interfered with sound.

I'm not even mildly familiar with other brands. I've always been fond of Canon for some reason. I'd be open to suggestions, but I've liked my Canon cameras thus far.

So any advice from more experienced photographers, what camera will give me the most of everything, and ring in under $500 or so? And before you recommend a DSLR, I am not going to buy thousands of dollars worth of lenses to make up for the lack of range. I've seen what these super zoom cameras can do, and I'm not a professional, and don't need pro gear. I have a SLR 35mm camera and a nice zoom lens in a box somewhere that taught me the lesson that lenses are junk if they don't work on the next crop of cameras.

Thanks for any advice / ideas! :)

Eric K

Observer
Just going off of what you wrote on those two cameras (too lazy to research) I say go with the SX540. You will always be shooting in low light conditions: morning, dusk, cloudy day, just in the shade of the forest, indoors, etc. Having good low light performance is a must.

robgendreau

Explorer
I saw a Canon SX50 refurb for sale by Canon with warranty for $150. I had one; great camera. Some like it better than the SX60.

Take a look at the FZ70 too; Panny usually has pretty good video all other things being equal.

And I understand the criticism of the the DSLRs, but there are also good mirrorless in that range. I had a SX50 and yeah, it had a long zoom. But I found that when I bought a Pentax K-50 (not their flagship by any means) I got about the same quality by cropping a shot off the 50-200mm kit zoom. It cost me less than your budget, and there are lot of used ones out there. And it simply blew the SX50 away in many other aspects too (like the viewfinder obviously, but also the screen, wide angles, focusing, etc.

And BTW, I use some 40 year old lenses on it. Still fits. So if that old film lens is hanging about be aware some of us buy up those things like crazy....

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Thanks for the thoughts. I got to digging deeper, and it looks like the only difference between the 2 is features. Same aperture specs, same processor, but oddly different end image size (16.1MP vs. 20.3MP.) Basically nothing on the photo taking end appears to differ really, only features like the flip around screen and an actual viewfinder. I do agree with Eric K, but so far I'm not seeing where the SX540 could actually have better low light considering so much shared parts.

I went to an event yesterday where I took photos/video, and really thought about how I was using the camera. The flip out screen was out half the time, especially if I was videoing. I noticed I wasn't using it so much for angle as stability, I'd tilt the screen up and put the camera down where I could hold it most stable, not necessarily up in the air in front of me. For taking pics I did use the viewfinder some. The SX540 has neither feature, just a fixed display. So I'm leaning toward the SX60. Also I'm seeing that for video I can attach some things to the SX60 line like a decent microphone to make it a more capable video camera.

And don't get me wrong, I would love a DSLR. I know I could get a DSLR on the $500 or so budget. But if I get a DSLR, I want to go all in, and if I do I'd focus on it for photography where I'm more concerned with the image quality to a more refined degree. I might get there one day, but not this year.

With the bridge, I get all around what I want, big zoom, good photos, and HD video in one package, that isn't sooo expensive that if I drop it in the river I've lost a huge investment (like a $1500 DSLR plus lens) My SX30 has dirt caked in the seams and buttons if that tells you the kind of life the camera will lead. I take care of it best I can, but it will be used on a kayak deck, fumbled around while off roading, and hanging off my shoulder in the woods.

Now what is bugging me is I'm looking at an SX60, and the next generation is rumored to be coming out any time, actually overdue. Speculation is that it might be around a 100X zoom. Which honestly, my 35X is pretty good, I rarely shoot at that range, but if the back end can take a decent photo that highly magnified, what might it do at the more reasonable range. (I've also dabbled with astronomy, used the SX30 to take images of the sun using a welding lens, and photos of Jupiter were you can pick out some moons.)

jim65wagon

I used the Canon SX50HS for years with great results. After it died I picked up Panasonic Lumix Fz300 and it's a great camera, dust resistant and splash resistant which is great for my hiking and kayaking

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

OverlandNA

I've been using canon cameras for over 40 yrs. Started with a 110 point and shoot. Always good pics. Currently have a SX430 is. Fixed screen, 20 mp, 720p video, 45x optical, 180x digital zoom.
First pic has a pier in it
Second pic shows the people on it.
IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0486.JPG
Texas moon then same moon same location that night
IMG_0617.JPG
IMG_0785.JPG
Sunset
IMG_0751.JPG
Low light

IMG_20211007_191035263.jpg

Forum statistics