Brie is best when paired with ...

dms1

Explorer
I like Brie on club crackers nuked in the microwave for 5 sec to get it nice and soft.

Do you guys also eat the rind on the Brie cheese? My wife thinks I am crazy for eating it.

jim65wagon

Do you guys also eat the rind on the Brie cheese? My wife thinks I am crazy for eating it.

Depends on the Brie. A good quality brie has a tasty rind and we'll eat that right up. Lesser varieties can have a rind that tastes horrible - we'll cut those off before warming the brie. My advise is to taste a bit of the rind first, good = eat, bad = garbage.

As for the OPs quest. We warm the brie to spreadable (rind or no rind depending on the cheese), toast up a crusty baguette, slice some apples, cook a couple servings of escargot with lots of butter and garlic, crack open whatever wine is our current favorite, and gorge ourselves silly......
it's better if you can heat all this over a campfire and share your snails with friends....

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Keeping it simple, I'd suggest a baguette and an acidic Chardonnay, like a French Chablis.

Too many Chardonnay products from California are over-oaked, and forced through malolactic fermentation. This secondary fermentation results in a buttery flavor, at the expense of lower acid and reduced fruit flavors. The French style is higher in acidity, which contrasts with the richness of the cheese.

Not entirely true. Even though in Chablis they don't do so, malolactic fermentation is quite common in Burgundy. The acid levels in Burgundy are obviously quite high because of the cool temperature. When a high acid wine goes through malolactic fermentation, the result is a much softer, creamier wine.

California winemakers used ML mainly because they were copying the French. The problem is that the malic acid level is low in the California grapes and the malolactic fermentation generates diacetyl, which is the primary source of the buttery flavor. Even though the chardonnays from Burgundy go through ML, they don't have the buttery flavor.

Another issue is the type of oak used. CA winemakers that make butter-bombs generally use American oak, which has more of an impact on the flavor than French oak. The American oak gives a coconut flavor and the French generally impart a hint of vanilla.

It is interesting to note that the 1973 Chateau Montelena that won the Judgement of Paris didn't go through ML, which is probably why it fooled the French judges into thinking it wasn't American.

MakersTeleMark

Adventurer
Stuffed into your meat of choice with some spinach. Good in poppers too. Well, it's good in everything. Make a juicy lucy with it, I could go on...

grimbo

Explorer
Well I used to just eat it in crackers but now have a whole bunch if ways to eat, thanks for the suggestions

TRDPARTS4U

Adventurer
Warmed brie wheel, sliced on the bias. spread with roasted garlic, plumped white raisins, chiffonade of basil and sundried tomato slices. Fresh cracked black pepper and drizzled with white truffle oil. Served with toasted pita bread.

Jacque

gypsydebs

a round of brie of camembert, glaze the top with some honey, wrap in foil and put on low coals with a few on top - leave for about 10mins until the brie or camembert is soft and warm in the middle. slit the top skin, take a fresh baguette and you have camp cheese fondue.

ovrlndtoyota

get snorkeled
I must be the odd one out, ice cold brie with pears, a nice slice or hunk of ham and some lingon berries. mmmm:drool:

dont forget a meduim temped german beer or a chilled chardonay. Im not much of a wine drinker, mostly use it for cooking. so if you were at my camp its be a beer.

cheers!

Arkos

Get a can of croissants. Make the croissants as normal, but stick a small slice of brie in the center. Seal all the edges, and bake as usual.

six sons

Observer
Either remove top rind, or leave on a round of Camembert and top with hot pepper jelly. Wrap in foil, warmed near the campfire, spooned onto baguette slices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12