Bringing firearms to Canada

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Anyone here been through it? Seems like it's not a big deal if you've got the proper form filled out (CAFC 909) but it also seems like it's up to the discretion of the boarder guard if your reason for bringing a firearm into the country is good enough. If not, they turn you around and you're out of luck.

I've had one close-call with a bear in northern Quebec and plan on spending more time in Labrador and Newfoundland in the next year or two. It would be nice to have my little 30-30 along.

Last edited:

762X39

Explorer
My suggestion is that the reason for the firearm be hunting.Have brochures handy as well as a copy of the local (provincial) hunting regulations and know what is in season.In Canada, firearms ownership is a priveledge and although our minority conservative government is ok with it, a lot of the beauracracy(I know I didn't spell that right) is very liberal and anti firearm.Typically, protection of life is not a good reason to have a firearm.Just calling it like I see it.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Thanks for the advice, John. That probably makes sense. Most of our travels into the north seem to be during the summer so I'm not sure what would be in season at that time. I'll have to do some research. If I'm heading all the way to Caniapiscau or Happy Valley/Goose Bay and camping in the bush, do you still think "personal protection against wildlife" won't be a good enough excuse?

762x39. I like it. What can you have in Canada that takes that round? I've got a Mak90.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

ps. My wife graduated from McMaster in Hamilton.

cruiser guy

Explorer
If I were you I'd request information from your local Canadian consulate in writing and follow it to the letter. They WILL be refusing you entry if you have not followed every requirement. It may seem silly but that's how it is!

EricGagne

Adventurer
I think you should check regulations in each province you plan on travelling to/through during you stay here in Canada.

I don't know for other provinces but here in QUebec I don't think you're allowed to carry a firearm in the woods outside of the hunting season. Even during hunting season, you'd still have to show all the papers and registration for your guns and a valid hunting permit if requested by an officer.

Edit: That page will probably answer all your questions.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/default_e.asp

Last edited:

Mercedesrover

Explorer
KevinNY said:
A shot gun might make more sense for ease of entry and the intended purpose.

You're probably right, Kevin. I just got a cool old Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 that will travel with me in the new truck but you're right that a shotgun probably makes more sense. I bought a new Mossberg 590A1 that would fit the bill. 'Course I'll probably have to put the full stock back on it....:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12