Bringing Morocco, Kenya, Tanzania and Nepal closer to home

pwc

Explorer
525425766_7U6oo-M.jpg

Howdy!
In case you don't remember me, my name's Peter. I used to be more active on Expedition Portal but now I just pop in once in a while I am in between good offroading vehicles (sold a Defender 110 last April). I have been substituting my overland thirst with other projects, mainly international travel and photography.

So why the heck am I mentioning all this? Cus I'm in need of your support for my next project, known as the People, Places and Patterns Project. It WILL have an overland component and I've sent for information from The African Conservation Fund, but the main thrust of the project is to bring distant cultures in places, like Morocco, Tanzania and Nepal, close to home through the use of photographs, video and story telling. From February to May of 2010 I'll be traveling to these countries (and a couple others) to capture how those three elements (People, Places and Patterns) are brought to life in each society. Take a look at http://pppproject.com for more specifics about the trip, including timeline and info on the countries visited.

When I return I'll be presenting the photos, video and stories to schools, libraries and community groups, starting in the Puget Sound area and expanding out (I already have invites from friends in Utah and California to visit their schools). All presentations will be free to those who attend. I also plan on creating specific versions for certain audiences, like highlighting the overland aspect for an ExPo viewing at a likely location.

I'm posting this here for three reasons:

1. I'm trying to make contact with as many teachers in the general Puget Sound region (to start with) as possible. If you know of a teacher who would be interested in having me visit and expound on the wonders of these countries, please either pass on my contact info (peter@thecareyadventures.com 206-973-8309) or make an introduction between us.

2.I'd like to hear about what type of photos you would like to see from this trip. I'm trying to make this body of work as interesting for others as it is for me, so I like to know what interests others. It also helps me as an artist to break out of my normal rut and look around for different subjects (while still hitting the main themes of People, Places and Patterns).

3.Lastly, I'm looking for direct financial help with the project. While the presentations will be free, the gathering of images, videos and stories will take some funds. I've set up the project on a site called Kickstarter.com which is a great funding platform. They use Amazon.com for handling the funds and if my goal isn't reached by February 16th, nothing gets charged to your credit card. It's all or nothing and donations start at $1. And if you have any corporate contacts who you think would be a good sponsor for the trip, I'd love to speak with them about getting their name splattered all over things.

Ok, that's my spiel. Thanks for checking out the project. I hope you think it's of value and can help me make this dream a reality!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior