Build Questions, thanks in advance

jeeper92

Adventurer
I ahve a large full size pickup bed (late model ford) I plan on purchasing a root top tent nnf putting it on the trailer. I ahve a ton of questions. I would appreciate it if you all could share your expertise. Here we go
1. I want to get the largest tent possible. Any suggestions?
2. I wanted to build a wood top on the trailer and rhino or raptor line it to water proof it. Is this feasable?
3. If I put the wood top on the trailer Id like to be able to open it are there shocks that Id be able to use to keep the side open? gAS STRUTS or something similar?
4. It surrently has 31 inch tires on it, Id like to put 33s on htere with the same rims that I have on my jeep. The extra height would push my hitch up closer to my spare tire. Is there an extension I can get/use to keep it level with the jeep aND not hit the spare tire?
5. sanding and body work is not my specialty. Is it fairly cheap to have a trailer of this size sanded and painted?
6. Id also like to make hte tailgate my kitchen when it is opened up Id liek to use slider drawers to slide out a grill cooler nad other stuff, (maybe a mini fridge when we camp with electric. What would you suggest using to slide the drawers/kitchen holder out? I hope you understand what I am saying
7. The rooftop tent would be mounted on the trailer itself, how would I go about mounting it on the wood top? Any suggestions on how to fasten it to the trailer?
Im sure ill have more, again I appreciate the help. thanks

Bob

jeeper92

Adventurer
Just an added question
Has anyone had any success with just putting a regular tent on top of an elevated platform? like a trailer? Was thinking I could save some serious coin if I just built my own fold out tent

Anyone ? Buehler? hahah

Airborne Lee

Observer
Bump...

DITO. Anyone? I've even been toying with the idea of placing my backpacking tent on the lid of my trailer. (Secured of course).

Airborne Lee

Observer
I found some anchor eyes that fold down flat, flush with the surface of the lid. I think I might try some of these. Maybe 6.... I could tie each corner and the sides to the eyelets and be secure?

jeeper92

Adventurer
Got ya

I am going to build a wood lid to go over my trailer, jsut not sure what typw of hinges to put on it so I can open it. ANy suggestions? Im gonna rhino line the wood and the whole lid soooo I think I amy be ok with it weathering

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I've done that with my trailer, but it's not what I want to be my final solution. It worked well, and I have idea of how to make it work better, but in the end, I think I'm going to go with some kind of custom canvas tent for my application. If your doing something small though, I think it has great potential.

I'll try and get some better pictures of mine, but what I would end up doing is making some sort of bracket that attaches to the four corners of the platform, and has a point that sticks out about 3" at a 45 deg angle. That way you can get a dome tent that is about 6" larger than your platform (or build the platform slightly smaller than your existing tent) and use the brackets to go through the corner rings on the tent, securing it to the trailer base and keep any rain off. Kind of hard to explain, so if you need, I will draw some pictures.

For mine, I even cut the bottom out of the tent so that I had access to the inside of the trailer. The lid, once folded out was the bed, and I could sit in, and access the equipment in the trailer.

The downside was trying to set up the dome tent on the trailer. A little difficult with the height of my trailer, and I want something that takes less time. But for something smaller, I really think it would work well.

img_4137.jpg

img_4206.jpg

jeeper92

Adventurer
Vt

Your build is one of the ones I was most interested in. COuld you post up as many pics as you possibly can? Doesnt water pool up on hte sides when the tent is out up?

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Luckily, the tarp that we had over the tent kept out "most" of the water. We did have to unhook the clamps and lift the tent material one morning after we had a pretty consistant rain, but it wasn't bad, and nothing got into the tent. One of things I was trying to convey, is that if I decided to continue with a dome tent like this, I would buy one that is slightly bigger than the platform, and use a bracket that stuck out from the top to keep the tent from moving. I have a tent that I can use that is 6" larger in both length and width, but I'm waiting to cut it up now because I want to go with something custom made so that I can utilize the rear door, and make setup time a little quicker.

As far as build pics, I don't have any of our second camping trip, but here are all the ones I have:

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/19408/69059

Hope that helps some... Send me some questions if I can help.

Don

-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12