Build Thread: 2003 Montero XLS: Ol'Betsy #6

Imnosaint

Adventurer
imnosaint which OME kit did you purchase? Medium or heavy duty? I want a lift but don't want it to be super stiff on road.

I went with the HD set up. I also mounted 33" Big Horn Mudders inflated to factory specs on the road. I appreciated the better handling characteristics as a daily driver, as well as a long hauler to the coast, 1400 miles round trip. Big improvement all around.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Well, my gen2 sold after being advertised for two hours... So I can now move forward with the gen3...

Have one airbag on so far, but haven't finished yet. More to come... I used a set in my gen2 and they survived a lot of pretty rigorous use, so I'm hoping they will serve me as well this time around.

Did get a chance to put my rooftop tent up, and my wife and I had a night in it last night.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's an older "Technitop" that I picked up from a buddy last year. It needed a little TLC but overall is a solid unit. The Montero didn't really notice it up there, in fairly windy highway conditions.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Got the airbags finished today, and so far they look like a bust. Whereas the ones in my gen2 could lift the rear up 2" or more, these can only muster 1/4". Haven't tried a load yet, but so far my part number looks like it could wrong... More to come on this.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
I was hoping to do an update, but this project is on hold - went on holidays last week, and the crank bolt came out of the engine on the highway. Put a damper on our trip, and cost me a lot so far in rentals etc, and I don't even have it back yet. I was far from home so the truck is still in a shop in British Columbia, awaiting parts. Once they put it back together, I'll know whether the valve train suffered damage or not.

This truck had its timing belt done at 100k according to the dealer I bought it from. No way to know if they swapped the bolt or not, and no real way to prove if they properly torqued it.

Not a good start to what I was hoping was going to be a long, happy relationship. :(

FullMonte

Adventurer
Well, my gen2 sold after being advertised for two hours... So I can now move forward with the gen3...

Have one airbag on so far, but haven't finished yet. More to come... I used a set in my gen2 and they survived a lot of pretty rigorous use, so I'm hoping they will serve me as well this time around.

Did get a chance to put my rooftop tent up, and my wife and I had a night in it last night.

View attachment 236833

View attachment 236834

It's an older "Technitop" that I picked up from a buddy last year. It needed a little TLC but overall is a solid unit. The Montero didn't really notice it up there, in fairly windy highway conditions.
Sorry to hear about your Monte. Really hope you get the beast back soon.

I am curious about RTTs, but I want to know how do you get your dog up there? That's prolly the only thing holding me back from getting one. That and also,I like my thule basket to haul crap in.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Well a quick update: the valve train was impacted - no compression at all on one cylinder so valves are ordered, and then the heads are off to the machine shop. This is going to be very costly by the time its done. The dealer who originally did the service (in 2011) is communicating with me, so there is hope that they will foot the bill, but no guarantees yet... Also now need headgaskets, headbolts, and a plane ticket to go back to British Columbia to get it when its done. Probably still a few weeks out.

In term of the RTT, Mitsu (the shiba inu) sleeps in his crate in the back seat these days, but as MrK said, it wouldn't be too hard to drag his 26#'s up the ladder. LOL.

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
Well, after a year and a third, I thought it was time for an update. Worst "build thread" EVER. I know it.

Anyways, the dealer ended up paying half the bill, for the improperly torqued bolt on the HB. I footed the rest plus rental, plane ticket, etc. When I got it back home, I realized that the hydraulic valve lash adjusters were clacking like crazy, so apparently the shop that did the work didn't know about bleeding them... bought some new ones, and replaced all of them over two weekends (did one side at a time). Clickety clack - GONE.

Airbags worked great for towing. Eliminated any hint of sway when towing our tongue heavy folding A-frame trailer. But they don't provide any measurable lift with no load.

Otherwise... absolutely nothing to report beyond oil changes. Nothing. Zero. Nada. Oh wait, I put new front calipers on, and did the brake fluid. Not exactly ground breaking. Also got a backup camera that replaces one of the license plate lights.

Worst build thread EVER.

Except... my wife has essentially adopted this truck, and considers it hers. So... I'm going to get another: Betsy 7? And since this one won't have to pull a trailer, won't have to pull daily driver duties, etc etc like every other rig I've had before, I'm getting the rig I've always wanted this time. I'm going to import a Paj-Evo. Assuming I can find one in my price range. THAT will be a whole other thread. That I can promise. For now, I'll call this one complete, with my wife's quote to close it out... "It feels very solid... well-built... This is my favorite car EVER".

Cheers all and happy holidays,
Phil

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
I have done a few mods to the gen3 that I thought might be of interest...

Firstly, I moved the hvac controls down to enable a double DIN stereo, complete with reverse cam.

e9572fc5207d124a9500fa293d2dfabd.jpg

In the XLS clock space (compass for you LTD folks) I put a 7" Garmin GPS unit. It's epoxied in from the back, but it's easy enough to bring in for updates, after removing two screws. It comes on with the ignition, and if the directions are turned on, it's easily heard in the truck.

Finally, just barely visible, is a brake controller that takes the place of the ashtray, just in front of the shifter. It's close enough to reach the manual brake button if needed, and you can easily see the display of make adjustments on the fly.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12