Building 2005 Dodge 1500 4X4 Quad Cab??

tplume

I have a Dodge 1500 4x4 Quad Cab - HEMI - 140,00o miles, automatic. I'd like to build it for Expedition/Overlanding, this will be a long term project. It is all stock right now, what modifications has anyone done & found to be reliable? Of course, would like to know will this truck be a good base to start with?

crismateski

American Adventurist
Personally I think the Dodge is a great platform. I have had 2, and have been very happy with both, Unfortunately, they have both been 2500 so the suspension is completely different. Motor wise I don't think they really need any mods, keep the oil fresh, run stock style spark plugs, and carry spare idler pulleys.

poriggity

Explorer
I love my Dodge. It's a little big on tighter trails, but the pure amount of storage space with a quad cab 8 foot bed is nice. I can't comment on the hemi or 1500 suspension, as I have a cummins 2500.

Last edited:

tplume

Thanks......truck has been well maintained - serviced regularly. Where should I start? Tires, suspension, etc?

poriggity

Explorer
Thanks......truck has been well maintained - serviced regularly. Where should I start? Tires, suspension, etc?
Start by taking the truck out as is. Once you find some things that require upgrading, then upgrade. Nothing is more wasteful than someone who throws money at a rig that's never even been out, because they are trying to keep up with the Jones'.

tplume

Start by taking the truck out as is. Once you find some things that require upgrading, then upgrade. Nothing is more wasteful than someone who throws money at a rig that's never even been out, because they are trying to keep up with the Jones'.

Thanks for that advice.....Though, I'm not one to keep up with the Jones' - quite the opposite. I was just looking for basic improvements to keep it more reliable.

sdwhip

Observer
A leveling kit and 285/70s are a good place to start if you have 17" rims. 05 has torsion bars so you could just raise em up a little and be good. Otherwise do as other have said and just use it and see what you need.

chaos616

Adventurer
Hi,

I don't even have a dodge, so i have not a clue about specifics, but I absolutely agree with the point of "use it and see what would fit you best". If you decide you need a rock crawler then great, if you just want to do light wheeling great. I wheeled stock trucks for a long time and they did just fine, although you have to realize limitations, like don't drive over the 1.5' rock etc...

Something I have always upgraded no matter the use was tires, not even size (although bigger is usually better off road), but to a better offroad or all terrain tire. Something with the appropriate tread for what your doing, and a higher ply count. I like running minimum 8 ply and i prefer 10 ply and a 3 ply sidewall. They are a bit pricier but keep you from a lot of flats and hold up well with a light air down off road. Even stock size off road tires will make a world of difference when off road over a highway tire.

And hey, they are a wear item anyway so its only a matter of a small upgrade from stock.

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12