Building a better shower pan

iac27

Hi friends I'm looking to tap into your expertise so I can create a better shower pan for you. This ain't something sexy but it's something that I believe plagues many builds down the road. Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything I write here because that's why I'm asking you.

It looks like commercial off the shelf solutions for shower pans are lacking in durability. Mine's ended up cracking and leading to me having to caulk various parts. Other people fabricate their's from stainless or build one out of wood and coat with some sort of water proofing. This leads me to think we need a more durable shower pan because replacing it down the road or having water leak out of hairline cracks is no bueno.

I'm thinking something that's
-24 x 26.5" and 3 3/4" deep that's angled to direct water into a 2" drain
-rectangle
-frp construction
-single drain (double drain would be nice but usually rigs are pretty level and the pan has a slight slope to it)
-double drain could also complicate the install a bit and introduce a second leak point
-reinforced around drain area because that's the unsupported part (mine cracked here)
-flange on three sides to tuck under the wall panel to provide overlap
-tapered rigid foam to support the base of the pan

All this is pretty standard except it would be sturdier. Am I missing anything? Is the trade off of a increase in weight for durability ok? Would a rigid base under the pan made from FRP that supports all aspects of the pan so that all you have to do is build the shower enclosure around it be helpful? Typical installs require you box it in structurally (usually with wood). Or is this easy enough to do and you'd rather save the money? Do you want access to the drain underneath the pan by having this structure higher? Or leave the pan height as low as possible and you can build a platform if you require access and want to keep your drain line inside?

Would this be helpful to the overland community or am I barking up the wrong tree? Happy to hear your thoughts.

Examples of your typical pan:
RV_shower_drain_pan_SP100_white_1024x1024.jpg.jpegRV_shower_pan_SP100_1024x1024.jpg-2.jpeg

Cross posted on the van forum

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
I made my own from fibreglass when I built out truck 19 years ago. It has a single central drain and a slope to it from all sides. The slope that we occasionally camp on sometimes exceeds the slope of the shower pan.

I am now building another truck. The floor is gel coated FRP sandwich panel. Beautiful finish, waterproof and perfectly flat. There will be no additional shower base. Walls will be sealed to the floor. There will be a drain in each corner so it will always drain irrespective of the slope. Each drain will have a standard sink style basket & seal.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Hi friends I'm looking to tap into your expertise so I can create a better shower pan for you.
Are you looking at producing custom shower pans, or are you just after suggestions for making a better shower pan for your own build?

I want to make one in stainless steel and bamboo

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-01-08 at 10.06.58.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-08 at 10.06.58.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Reactions: plh

Wazak

We had one made out of Aluminium Checker plate almost 6 years ago which we're very happy with.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
In my experience, gelcoat is a nice, hard surface with reasonably good wear resistance, but its biggest failing is that over time it often develops cracks.
For this reason alone, I choose not to use it these days, opting for a high quality 2 pack industrial paint instead. If there are issues, a painted surface is much easier to repair than a gelcoat finish.
Flexing, which is something that happens more in a mobile setup, is something that needs to be factored into a design. With a fibreglass tray, this could be reduced by making it thicker, but the down side to that is additional weight and cost.

Making moulds is a time very consuming task, unless you have CNC capabilities. If I was going to start making commercial products, I would have to be sure there was a strong market for that product before going down that path.
Sometimes a fixed size commercial shower tray may be an option, but in many custom camper builds this might not suit the builder's design choices.
Alternatively, anything that is custom made is normally expensive, and rightly so, as there is much more time and effort required.

Just my 2c worth...

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
A commercially built tray is never going the be the size I want and I don't want or need one at all in my current build with 4 drain holes.
Cheaper, lighter, more effective.
Try fitting a toilet (in my case, composting) to a floor that is not flat. Just makes it harder than it needs to be.
From my perspective there is no market.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

iac27

In my experience, gelcoat is a nice, hard surface with reasonably good wear resistance, but its biggest failing is that over time it often develops cracks.
For this reason alone, I choose not to use it these days, opting for a high quality 2 pack industrial paint instead. If there are issues, a painted surface is much easier to repair than a gelcoat finish.
Flexing, which is something that happens more in a mobile setup, is something that needs to be factored into a design. With a fibreglass tray, this could be reduced by making it thicker, but the down side to that is additional weight and cost.

Making moulds is a time very consuming task, unless you have CNC capabilities. If I was going to start making commercial products, I would have to be sure there was a strong market for that product before going down that path.
Sometimes a fixed size commercial shower tray may be an option, but in many custom camper builds this might not suit the builder's design choices.
Alternatively, anything that is custom made is normally expensive, and rightly so, as there is much more time and effort required.

Just my 2c worth...
Good feedback thanks, gives me more things to think about. The mold would be cnc'd.

My reasoning is the market is full of weak shower trays, I'd be happy to have someone point me to a durable one. Not everyone is going with an off the shelf solution but I think a good amount of people must be being these trays, having them crack then making their own (if they have the skill).

iac27

A commercially built tray is never going the be the size I want and I don't want or need one at all in my current build with 4 drain holes.
Cheaper, lighter, more effective.
Try fitting a toilet (in my case, composting) to a floor that is not flat. Just makes it harder than it needs to be.
From my perspective there is no market.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Thanks Peter, I think in circles with a strong skillset and DIY ethos there wouldn't be. Something for me to chew on more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior