Bullet proof 235/85-16's E rated?

rebar

Adventurer
Hi new here.. Iv been asking most of my RV/trailer questions on other forums. But this question belongs here..

I plan on pulling my 24' feather-lite toy-hauler to its limits. I'm in the middle of lifting it 4" and I need to replace the tires for insurance. I'm looking for a E rated steel belted tire I can run at 70 mph. But will take the punishment of a rocky Colorado back road. Open budget. Iv looked at allot of LT tires, but non of them have the tread and sidewall protection I want. This tire comes close with its curb protection, but it doesn't look very off-road..

Any and all suggestions welcomed..
Thanks..

KA5IVR

Observer
Why not get Trailer Tires?
Not sure about the 70mph, but I believe the sidewalls should be better.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
What does the trailer weigh? You should be able to get BFG's in an E rating. Take a look at the Goodyear MTR with the kevlar siding.
Goodyear makes a trailer tire that is highway rated for that speed.

Trailer tires are different than LT or Auto tires, in they undergo a tremendous amount of torque when turning, the side walls are much stiffer. I drag 42 foot fithwheel at 75 regulary out of the state of California, never had a problem, but have top of the line Goodyear trailer tires on it. It is in storage I would be able to tell you what they are, will check tomorrow if I am down there.

rebar

Adventurer
What does the trailer weigh? You should be able to get BFG's in an E rating. Take a look at the Goodyear MTR with the kevlar siding.
Goodyear makes a trailer tire that is highway rated for that speed.

Trailer tires are different than LT or Auto tires, in they undergo a tremendous amount of torque when turning, the side walls are much stiffer. I drag 42 foot fithwheel at 75 regulary out of the state of California, never had a problem, but have top of the line Goodyear trailer tires on it. It is in storage I would be able to tell you what they are, will check tomorrow if I am down there.

Trailer weighs 6500 empty and has two 5200 lb axles. Your the second person out of many more who has said stick with ST tires.. Seems most people are replacing their ST tires with LT's and then rave about how much better they are.

I was recommended the BFG commercial TA which is also offered in a traction tread but they arnt total steel belt/carcass tire's like the Bridgestone Duravis m895 or Michelin XPS Rib

But these are all LT tires. I need to look closer at ST tires maybe..

Lots of discussions on ST vs LT

Last edited:

rebar

Adventurer
Went with Bridgestone Duravis R250's since a aggressive tread would have made highway travel less stable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12