Buying advice?

ljkup

Adventurer
A little background on my previous vehicles and intended use. Previous vehicles include: LJ, lx470, and currently in 2012 wk2.

Will be used for moderate 4 wheeling and towing my Kamparoo.

So I've been on the hunt for my next expo rig and have been all over the place: jku, 100 series, Tundra, Tacoma, Montero......

Here's where I need some help! I finally found a Tacoma that I may be interested in but need some Expo member opinions.

2005 white Tacoma DC TRD sport with manual trans. 105k miles
Includes ARB front bumper, topper, rack, 3" ome, 16" trd wheels and 33" nitto terragrapplers with 10% tread left. Also has upgraded nav audio with Ipod plug in. Asking $17.5k

What do you think?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

WillBeck

Adventurer
inspect the frame, inspect the frame, inspect the frame.

Tacoma frames rust like a fat kid eats candy.

tonkaman

Adventurer
I think discount the price of new tires and you've got a deal! My opinion is a bit bias since I have s 2004 Tacoma and a 2016 Tacoma on order. Tacomas not only hold their resale value better than any other vehicle but in the west they sell for even more than they are worth. A manual trans is harder to find and 100k miles is great for that age.

ljkup

Adventurer
Excellent advice! Inspecting it is a bit tough because it is out of state but I will start by requesting tons of pictures.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Ask them to take it to a Toyota dealer for the frame inspection. It's free and you'll have it documented in case you need it to be replaced as the new owner. That's how my 2001 got a new frame 2 years after I bought it. The original owner had taken it in for the initial inspection. I just bought an 06 with 73k and a brand new frame.

-jorge

ljkup

Adventurer
Thanks Jorge. Great idea. I definitely think I'll ask him to do that and an inspection that I'd pay for.

p nut

butter
Some 05-06 had issues with the rear diff blowing up. I never found out if that's been remedied, or if there is a recall, but something to check out.

Also, I'd look for a Tundra around that vintage (05-06) with a 4.7L V8, which would make towing the Kamparoo so much better.

ljkup

Adventurer
I hear you loud and clear p nut. Do you know if they have a remedy for the airbag recall on those tundras?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger