Camber question???

Sloan

Explorer
I wasn't sure where to put this thread so I'll start here to get the most input. Please move it if it belongs somewhere else. I took my FJ60 to get a front end alignment today and the guy told me that the camber was way off and that it was probably a bent axle. I checked on the Ih8mud board and apparently this is pretty common on the FJ60. Here is the question, the factory specs are min. 0.3 degree and max. 1.8 degree and I am currently at -0.4 degree. How bad is this? I know it will cause uneven tire wear but is this something the axle needs to be replaced immediately? Thanks for the input. :D

West Coast Mags

Adventurer
I would take it to another shop or the dealer and have them check it out. I've been in the technical side of the automotive industry for the better part of the last 12 years and it's a new vehicle design in terms of most run of the mill auto shops such as Big O, Goodyear Gemini, etc, most of their techs probably had no idea what it was when it rolled in. Many vehicles are able to have the caster cams slotted to allow additional adjustment or are able to have shims installed if large distances need to be made one way or the other. I would recommend having the toyota dealer check it out. Before taking it in, powerwash every speck of dirt off it, wax out all the brush scratches, and then just play dumb like it has never been off the pavement in it's life. If it is indeed bent then work the angle that it was a manufacturer defect from the factory and if they balk let them know you be contacting the local dealer representative to discuss their CSI index survey. Often that phrase alone will "suddenly make available" internal service warranty coverage where you pay a $100 deductable and it will be covered under warranty. I've never owned a toyota before just advising off my experience with other brands. Good luck.

Sloan

Explorer
I just had the front end rebuilt and he added some shims in to correct for the extended shackles that are on the truck. Would a shackle lift cause this? I have Dobinson 2" springs and wanted to replace the extended shackles with stockers and lower the truck a bit but he chose shimming instead. As far as heavy it is a Landcruiser and I have a bull bar and and a Warn 8274-50 winch on it.

Sloan

Explorer
That was the weird thing, it usually happens on the long side and mine is on the short side. BTW landcruisers have the offset diff. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior