Camp Chairs

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Good afternoon,

I am in search of comfortable, light, comfortable, and durable camp chairs. I currently own a pair of Kermit chairs with leg extensions, and while they are pretty cool looking they aren't as comfortable as I would like. I like the disposable chars even less, we have all been through those and while budget friendly they are a landfill filler (despite my best MacGyver w/ rivers & zip ties). I'd like to not worry about them at the beach, or other event, would like that they were lash-able to a pack (for an event not a hike). We camp less than a dozen times a year......yes I know, it's a resolution I am working on. And use them for movies on the green, beach, festivals, and extra thanksgiving chairs when we exceed the amount of household chairs.

Thank you for your recommendations.

PS....wife would like them to be not expensive. Kermit chairs = too much $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinStick

Explorer
IMHO, there seem to be a few categories of camp chairs. Comfy & hard to pack/store & take up LOTS of room. Easy to store but not the most comfy and weather proof. Cheap but comfy---until they break/rip/fall apart- folding tube chairs.

We have all of the above. For the super comfy but hard to store & take up LOTS of room ones, we have 2 high back Gander Mountain folding rocking chairs. For the quick/easy to store weather proof ones, we have 2 metal/plastic folding card table chairs from K-Mart. For the cheap but comfy until they break/rip/fall apart ones, we have 2 XLarge camo W-Mart chairs---now complete with my home made repair kit that includes 3" sections of steel rod to replace the rivets when they break (I just slide it through the holes of the round tubes & bend the ends over with pliers. 20lb fishing line & a big *** needle (for threading fishing line through plastic worms), to repair the nylon seat material and some long screws & nuts if the plastic feet rivets break (to keep the plastic feet on & from sinking into the ground). They all work great. For traveling light, you just can't beat the folding plastic/metal card table chairs. They fit perfectly in the back of my Power Wagon, under my bed slide I made. I also keep a 6' plastic/metal folding table under the slide, as well as 2 of the $19 folding steps from HFreight. They allow me to easily get inside my ARB coolers when they are on the slide.

Hope this helped you, at least a little. LOL

pluton

Adventurer
For traveling light, you just can't beat the folding plastic/metal card table chairs.
They're thin, cheap, quasi-durable and weatherproof. I have one of these, but when there's lots of room in the vehicle I bring a heavy, old-fashioned wooden directors chair. The real ones now cost $180. I still have one from about 1970 that cost $19.95 at JC Penneys on sale.
The nice thing about the directors chair is that you can sit up straight or slump. Many of the sliding joint/fabric sling type chairs force you to sit in a bizarre partially tilted-back position.
https://www.amazon.com/Telescope-Casual-Famous-Director-Varnish/dp/B003ZXUA4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501485619&sr=8-1&keywords=telescope+directors+chairs
But this is what I really want:
https://www.rei.com/product/114877/snow-peak-camp-couch

vartz04

Adventurer
Comfy durable but takes up a ton of room. $50 and I use it almost daily at home

1d2fe3133a8c0d249055aedf8beca332.png

Super small pack size and pretty easy setup. I keep it in my duffel of spare clothes/coat/rain coat in my work car -$85 from bison coolers probably slightly cheaper elsewhere. Made by travelchair

f45143598490a7fd2a27cc3a928ad19f.png

Since having both of those I never use another chair for camping, festivals, etc. I also never sit on the ground anymore cause the bison one is just too easy to bring with. They have knockoffs at Walmart now for $15 if you want to try before you spend that much money

Honu

lost on the mainland
posted the same in another thread :)
helinox chair :) the rei or others are not quite as nice but close enough if budget is to be under $100

no comparison for size weight comfort etc..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears