Camp stoves....Coleman vs Camp Chef? Or any suggestions?

milliron

We are looking to replace our Coleman 2 burner "relic" with something that will use a 20 gallon propane tank. We would like something that is able to be used with and without it's legs. Any discussion on BTU's of would be appreciated. We are currently looking at a Camp Chef Weekender, or a Coleman Fire Major. Not completely sold on either one, any other brand recommendations are appreciated.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Over the course of a year I tested more than 30 stoves for a review in Overland Journal, I believe it was in our 2014 Gear Guide. Within the category of two-burners, I tested roughly 7-8 stoves. All of them from Primus, Camp Chef, and even a few other no name dogs, did relatively the same. The Primus had the better overall construction of the mid-range stoves.

Partner won our Editor's Choice award for only a couple reasons. First, it is the easiest to hard mount to a slide out system as many overlanders like to do. It also had the most robust construction. I think if you were rafting, which many Partner owners do, that extra brawn is worth having. However, the new Colemans with the new FyreChampion burners were extremely good. I think the Coleman is the better cooking stove....by far. That burner technology really does work and the simmer control is superb.

I didn't expect the Coleman to do well for no good reason. I was surprised it rivaled the Partner, even bested it in some regards.

BTW, the new Eureka stove uses the exact same burners as the new Jetboil Genesis. I would still recommend the Coleman.

Last edited:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
I picked up an adapter at Walmart or Cabelas or somewhere for about 10 bucks, and it converted our ancient steel Coleman stove to run on propane. You can screw the green one-pound tanks straight into it, and I got an adapter hose so it also runs a proper 10-pound tank. It's awesome.

One thing to note, the first burner puts out a lot of heat, but if you try to run two burners off the little green 1lb bottles, the second burner only gives off about half the heat of normal, so it's good for slower-cooking/warming, while you keep the main burner for your main cooking duties.

You can find the original, made-in-usa Coleman stoves at garage sales and thrift stores for under 5 bucks.

:)

damon1272

Observer
Well I never seem to run across the coleman $5 special but I have been happy with their current dual fuel stove. I use the propane adapter that others speak of and it works good. One draw back of propane is that it does not work that well under 40*. Had issues running propane at elevation (5000') and 30* Broke out the dual fuel and had it working great when warmed up. One thing grew up camping with that familiar hiss of the coleman lanterns and stove running. Brings back fond memories.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
However, the new Colemans with the new FyreChampion burners were extremely good. I think the Coleman is the better cooking stove....by far. That burner technology really does work and the simmer control is superb.

I'm surprised to hear you say that...I was looking at those and all the reviews on the jungle say the burners are either full flame or off, no in between...I would buy one right now if I knew they could simmer worth a darn. Love that convertible grill feature.

MzPriss

Observer
I use a CampChef stove/oven/grill combo. It was relatively easy to hard mount onto the trailer we are building. I've had it for about 4 years, use it 5 or 6 times a year. Love it. I also have an old Coleman should we go without the trailer.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I'm surprised to hear you say that...I was looking at those and all the reviews on the jungle say the burners are either full flame or off, no in between...I would buy one right now if I knew they could simmer worth a darn. Love that convertible grill feature.

My Camp Chef is like that too. Seems to be full on or off. I am on the hunt for a solution.

tienckb

Adventurer
Check out iwatani 35fw butane stove. Legit 15,000 btu with very precise flame control dial. I have used it at 14,000 feet elevation and works flawlessly. It's also very compact and efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I vote Coleman. I am a cheap ***, they work, they are cheap but don't have the bling factor of the high priced stuff. thats about it. I have the coleman 2 burner with oven converted to run on propane tanks instead of the green screw on bottles.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Old Coleman stoves and lanterns are like cockroaches - They will around and working long after we are long gone...

Not bling but they work, are cheap and can be rebuilt easily and inexpensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears